New Dni Card (Have Old Booklet)

JoeBlow

Registered
Hello,

I haven't been to Argentina for three years. I'll be going back next month to visit Bs As. I am a permanent resident there and would like to switch my old DNI booklet to a new DNI card, but did not find information on the migraciones website today.

Can anybody tell me or share a link that says how I do this?

Thank you,
Joseph

Hi Joseph,

There has been some discussion about permanent residency expiring if you are out of Argentina for more than two years. Dr Rubilar made this comment in a thread on the subject:

The permanent residency can be lost if you moved away. You should take a look to decree 616/2010. Regards

http://baexpats.org/topic/23399-permanent-residence-status-expiry/

Thank you for the answers, unfortunately the link provided above I had already checked and it does not contemplate my simple situation--which is unusual.
The only info I have found so far is that renewals are handled through the Comunas in Bs As, but I don't know if that applies for foreigners.

SteveinBsAs I remember you on here from when I lived in Argentina, and that was some time ago!

You have to enter Argentjna every two years according to the Argentine consulate.

Thank you for the answers, unfortunately the link provided above I had already checked and it does not contemplate my simple situation--which is unusual.
The only info I have found so far is that renewals are handled through the Comunas in Bs As, but I don't know if that applies for foreigners.

If, as a foreigner with permanent residency, you cannot apply for the Nuevo DNI (not actually a renewal) at the Comuna which has jurisdiction over the address which appears on your old DNI, you will probably have to go to one of these locations:

- CDR 25 de Mayo. 25 de Mayo 155. Ciudad de Buenos Aires

- CDR Paseo Colón. Av. Paseo Colón 1093. Ciudad de Buenos Aires

- CDR Callao.Callao 1065. Ciudad de Buenos Aires

- CDR Palermo.Av. Libertador, esq. Bullrich. Ciudad de Buenos Aires

The 25 de Mayo is the Registro where all foreigners once had to go to apply fopr and pick up their DNI's. Now it is one of the locations where (for $600 pesos) yopu can get the Nuevo DNI in 24 hours.

http://turnos.minint...ress/turnosWeb/

Since you have been out of the country for three years I suggest you start at the appropriate Comuna. Your old DNI won't show how long you have been out of the country and perhaps they won't check your records with migraciones. The offices of the Registro might and that could be problematic.

Since you didn't share any of the details about your "simple" but unusual "situation" it's difficult to give you additional advice. It might depend on your reason for staying out of Argentina for more than two years. There might be exceptions, such as permanent residency based on marriage.

I can only suggest you start at the appropriate Comuna and ask for the Nuevo DNI (and not to renew). It's important to use the correct terms.
emo32.gif

Back