New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

iStar said:
Even if you have a DNI and enter with a US/Canadian/Australian passport you will have to pay the fee.

If that is so, then how can we believe this?

iStar said:
The fee does not apply to Canadian, Australian or US citizens:

with legal residence in Argentina,

Anyone with a DNI has legal residence in Argentina...as do those who have been granted resident visas but do not yet have their DNI. Anyone entering at EZE with Argentine residency (even without a DNI) can go through the Mercosur line at immigration (as opposed to the extra-Mercosur line). They shouldn't be charged.

steveinbsas said:
If that is so, then how can we believe this?

Anyone with a DNI has legal residence in Argentina...as do those who have been granted resident visas but do not yet have their DNI. Anyone entering at EZE with Argentine residency (even without a DNI) can go through the Mercosur line at immigration (as opposed to the extra-Mercosur line). They shouldn't be charged.

Sorry my mistake.

I meant to say they "shouldn't" be charged as long as you have a DNI. The key word is "shouldn't".

:)

iStar said:
Sorry my mistake.

I meant to say they "shouldn't" be charged as long as you have a DNI. The key word is "shouldn't".

:)

Thanks iStar. I understand. I was wrong once, too.

steveinbsas said:
Thanks iStar. I understand. I was wrong once, too.

We're only human :)

Honestly, I have a feeling this whole fee thing at EZE is going to be messy. I'm sure there is bound to be some confusion among the interpretation of who this fee is to be applied.

I'm sure there will be several threads in the very near future about just that :)

windy said:
While i broadly agree with istar. i do feel the US should reintroduce the visa waver scheme that was in place until the Argentine crash of 2001.
The USA is not the jobs magnet that it was, and any economic migrant would be advised to read the US unemployment figures before making the trip.
Passengers arriving to the USA still would still face screening by us officials and could be deported,but it would avoid the blanket charge on all argentines that is in place now.
In Ireland US customs is based in Dublin Airport and people can be barred from even getting on the flight if they can't show a destination or that they have suficient funds for their trip. This i think is slightly better than finding everybody guilty until they prove them selves inocent.

I think U.S. visas for tourism should be given out in the airports. I think there should be rules, however. The ticket should be purchased way in advance of travel so that proper background checks can be conducted, then the U.S. customs and immigration could verify funds and hotel reservations at the airport.

I don't know what effort is put into the processing of a visa. Besides, it seems to me that it doesn't deter many people from overstaying. (Fact: Almost 50% of tourist visas are overstayed in the U.S.)

In the case of this man from Nigeria who failed at blowing a hole in the plane from Amsterdam, the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria was notified by the father that his son had possibly become "radicalized." Why wasn't his visa revoked immediately? Surely airlines have to verify the validity of all visas before issuing boarding passes?

There is no reason that the screening process cannot be quicker, more efficient, and CHEAPER. $135 for a stamp is asinine.

AbdulMutallab, a Nigerian who had a multiple-entry visa to the United States, had been added to a watch list of 550,000 potential terrorist threats after the information provided by his father was forwarded to the National Counter-Terrorism Center, a senior administration official said. But "the info on him was not deemed specific enough to pull his visa or put him on a no-fly list," the official said.
~CNN

Just as a note of humor. You will see on the above published document that those from the USA are refered to as "American" and Canadians are "Canadian". There has been a substantial amount of discussion on this forum about this labeling or branding so to speak. It's defacto in most cases.
My apologies to the Canadians.

Yes they are charging the fee. It was actually pretty painless. There is now a separate booth (before you go through immigration but in the same hall). You line up, pay the fee, get the sticker in your passport that says valid for 10 years (they take credit card or cash) and then you go through immigration. Pretty painless although the line wasn't clearly marked so there was some confusion.

My flight was the only flight in at that time so it wasn't a long wait, maybe added 10 minutes to the process.

Hmm, wonder what happens if the traveller has neither credit card or cash (ie: if they were depending on getting money through ATM or travellers cheques after getting thru immigration/customs?

Well, I can't imagine anyone traveling internationally without at least one credit card in case of emergency.

Interestingly though, there were lots of unhappy people who didn't know about the new fee. Apparently they're not publicizing this fee yet. Nor did the airline make any announcement about it.

Back