New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

We've always handed our passports and DNI for Uruguay. Always got stamps on our passports and had the DNI looked at. Never tried with just the DNI, but we might just give it a try on our next trip. I'll be nice to avoid all those stamps on the passport.

I wonder if temporary/permanent status has something to do with this? (ie, entering w/ just DNI). -- Any temp residents here that have entered Uruguay with just a DNI and no passport?

2GuysInPM said:
We've always handed our passports and DNI for Uruguay. Always got stamps on our passports and had the DNI looked at. Never tried with just the DNI, but we might just give it a try on our next trip. I'll be nice to avoid all those stamps on the passport.

If you have temporary residency it shouldn't matter how many stamps you have.

You have the right to come and go as you please.

steveinbsas said:
If you have temporary residency it shouldn't matter how many stamps you have.

You have the right to come and go as you please.

Thanks. I know. I don't like the AR/UY stamps because my passport is almost full. If I can avoid them, that would be great.

I wasn't seriously suggesting it was you, just joking buddy, just heard the discussion. :)

I would suggest you guys try just entering with your DNI,and not show your passport with the visa unless you are told the DNI is not good enough, just to see. Then you could report back to us, and maybe you will not have to get a visa next time.

My experience with consulates is that they do not really understand your questions or do not care about giving clear answers.

Suerte!

2GuysInPM;5I938 said:
mendozanow; No, that wasn't us calling someone a liar. Not sure what that's about.

I can only speak about our experience; We have never entered Brazil without a visa. When we asked about it at the Brazilian consulate (a few years back), they said our DNI was irrelevant and that Visa requirements are based on citizenship/passport, not residency. I remember reading something very similar on the Brazil embassy or consulate web site a while ago as well. But things change, and you can always contact them and get an official response. Be sure to tell them about your citizenship, passport, DNI, and residency visa type so they can give you a specific answer.

Tel. 4515 6500, email: [email protected]
http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01engl.asp

We're heading back to Iguazu in April, and we're picking up our visas this Monday. Will report back if there's anything new.

Good luck! :)

azmike9 said:
I have a Uruguay Cedula as I am a uruguay resident. I have a US passport. I only need my Uruguay ID to come to Argentina. I do not use my passport here. To visit Brazil I need a visa. This is my understanding.

Yes, but i have heard directly from people that experienced not entering with a visa. The trouble with "understandings" is that they may often be without substance. That is why I am asking for experiences of those who have actually tried it. I hear "lo supongo" all the time in Argenti:)na and Latin America, but when the rubber hits the road it is often different.

mendozanow said:
I wasn't seriously suggesting it was you, just joking buddy, just heard the discussion. :)

I would suggest you guys try just entering with your DNI,and not show your passport with the visa unless you are told the DNI is not good enough, just to see. Then you could report back to us, and maybe you will not have to get a visa next time.

My experience with consulates is that they do not really understand your questions or do not care about giving clear answers.

Suerte!

n/p I wasn't taking it seriously either ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, we're not going to try entering with just the DNI. It's a separate (long) line anyways, and we don't plan to waste time making two lines at the border. :D ... But you're more than welcome to try yourself and let us know.

Anyways, I'll certainly ask about it again when we go back to the consulate on Monday, and when we cross the border again in April. If everything goes well, this might be the last Brazilian visa we get for long while. Will keep you posted.

Well upon checking the consulate's website again, I found the visa requirements for foreigners with Argentine residency (in Spanish):

http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01.asp

VISAS - INFORMACION PARA EXTRANJEROS RESIDENTES EN ARGENTINA
(Visas - Information for Foreigners Residing in Argentina)

Listado de los países cuyos ciudadanos necesitan visa de turista para ingresar a Brasil
(List of countries whose citizens need a tourist visa to enter Brazil)

- Australia
- Canadá
- Estados Unidos de América

LA DOCUMENTACIÓN NECESARIA PARA SOLICITAR UNA VISA DE TURISTA PARA VISITAR BRASIL ES LA SIGUIENTE:
(The following documents are required to apply for a tourist visa for Brazil)

- PASAPORTE com una validez mínima de seis meses
(passport, minimum 6 months since issued date)

Extranjeros residentes en Argentina deben presentar
original y cópia del DNI (tapa roja) o visa de residente.
(Foreigners residing in Argentina must show their original
DNI (red cover) and a [photo]copy, OR their resident visa)

- etc., etc.

The Brasil embassy also has a PDF that says that Naturalized Argentines can enter with just a DNI, but that it is essential the document must say "naturalized" on it.

iStar said:
Lower itself? That's a bit harsh don't you think?

These VISA requirements are there for several reasons one of which its NOT is a cash grab! This new Argentina "entry fee" is a cash grab plain and simple.

There is no work done or service provided by any government official. I think it's very short-sighted thinking (No surprise there). The last thing Argentina wants to do is make itself more expensive to tourists. Tourism is already down, I don't see this fee helping.

totally agree with the last posts... when it comes to visas, there is no such thing as fairness, if we really talked about fairness there would be no borders, everyone would be born in countries of the same economic level, etc, etc... this fee is just silly and might hurt the tourist industry and will almost for sure hurt the image of Argentina to put it at the same level with Bolivia. The US doesn't impose a fee for punishment, it is just to pay the cost of all the R&D work it takes to figure out if the person applying qualifies under US law, plain and simple. By law, every person interviewing and issuing visas has to be an American working for the US State Department and making a US salary. So, ultimately the reason why it is so relatively expensive to apply for a US visa is the fault of Argentina's bad economic management.

2GuysInPM said:
Well upon checking the consulate's website again, I found the visa requirements for foreigners with Argentine residency (in Spanish):

http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01.asp

[/i]

The Brasil embassy also has a PDF that says that Naturalized Argentines can enter with just a DNI, but that it is essential the document must say "naturalized" on it.

Okay. I will shut up. Stop banging my head against a brick wall. Promise.:eek:

mail

But people know that what the theory is and practice is are two entirely different things. I was just passing on very credible and corroborated direct experience of others, and if you choose to ignore that, okay.

The US doesn't impose a fee for punishment, it is just to pay the cost of all the R&D work it takes to figure out if the person applying qualifies under US law, plain and simple. By law, every person interviewing and issuing visas has to be an American working for the US State Department and making a US salary. So, ultimately the reason why it is so relatively expensive to apply for a US visa is the fault of Argentina's bad economic management.

Pay and shut up. Dont want to pay? We dont want you here, go and be happy.

Back