New Entry "Reciprocity" Fee for US, Canada, Australian Citizens...

So is it just being charged on the actual ticket, or are they collecting it at their airport? I'm going out of the country to Brazil in a few weeks, and bought the ticket a month ago, before all this.

SFMike said:
So is it just being charged on the actual ticket, or are they collecting it at their airport? I'm going out of the country to Brazil in a few weeks, and bought the ticket a month ago, before all this.

Everything I've read indicates it is being collected at the airport (EZE only).

I just got back from a Patagonian vacation and during that time met many people who had just flown in to EZE within the last several days, none of whom were charged the fee. I was under the impression it would start on December 20. Is this on hold again or has it just not started yet?

While i broadly agree with istar. i do feel the US should reintroduce the visa waver scheme that was in place until the Argentine crash of 2001.
The USA is not the jobs magnet that it was, and any economic migrant would be advised to read the US unemployment figures before making the trip.
Passengers arriving to the USA still would still face screening by us officials and could be deported,but it would avoid the blanket charge on all argentines that is in place now.
In Ireland US customs is based in Dublin Airport and people can be barred from even getting on the flight if they can't show a destination or that they have suficient funds for their trip. This i think is slightly better than finding everybody guilty until they prove them selves inocent.

windy said:
In Ireland US customs is based in Dublin Airport and people can be barred from even getting on the flight if they can't show a destination or that they have suficient funds for their trip. This i think is slightly better than finding everybody guilty until they prove them selves inocent.

US Customs pre-clearance also happens in Canada prior to boarding US bound flights.

BTW. even people that don't require VISA's to enter the US can be denied entry by US customs if they can't prove they have a reason (job, house, family) to return.

Then what happens... You lose the value of your ticket which is more expensive than applying for a VISA.

To clarify...

Se aplicará a los nativos de países que exigen visa a los viajeros argentinos. Habrá boxes habilitados para el cobro en el aeropuerto de Ezeiza. El pago deberá realizarse en dólares estadounidenses o pesos argentinos.

"La tasa será abonada por los extranjeros al momento del ingreso a la Argentina y en una primera etapa se implementará exclusivamente en el aeropuerto de Ezeiza", donde habrá boxes habilitados para el cobro.

It applies to natives of countries that require visas to travelers from Argentina. There will be collection boxes enabled the airport of Ezeiza. Payment must be made in U.S. dollars or Argentine pesos.

"Charges will be paid by foreigners at the time of entry into Argentina and as a first step be implemented only in the Ezeiza airport, where there will be collection boxes enabled.

After that who knows

Maikito said:
Is it safe to assume that if we have DNI's we won't have to pay?

Even if you have a DNI and enter with a US/Canadian/Australian passport you will have to pay the fee.

I'm about to board my flight to EZE so I'll let you know if they collect the fee at the airport tomorrow or not.

Back