New Guide To Moving To Bsas

PhilCharter3

Registered
Hi all,

I lived in Buenos Aires a couple of years ago and recently compiled a guide for newcomers.

It covers how to get the best for less, housing, employement (specifically teaching) and loads of useful tips about the city.

I hope you find it useful, please share it if you do.

http://talltravelling.blogspot.com.co/p/move-to-buenos-aires.html

I also welcome any comments and feedback, I hope it's not out of date!

Phil

Attachments

• city.jpg
    city.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
Excellent should be posted in the Permanent Section Files. Each Week a few people ask for advice on moving to BA and many generous souls engage in providing personal information.

The guide is very informative, well written, and nicely presented, but I do not agree with the following:

"Don't overstay your visa. Even with gainful employment, businesses are loathed to apply for work visas due to the cost. You will likely be paid in cash and have to leave the country every 90 days to avoid paying a fine. The most efficient way to do this is with a cheap day trip to Colonia."

The $600 peso fine for overstaying the tourist visa only has to be paid when you exit the country after an overstay and it doesn't make any difference if you have overstayed by two days or two years. One trip to Colonia will cost more than the fine and multiple exits and reentries do not keep you "legal" as far as migraciones is concerned. They constitute an "abuse" of the tourist visa, which can "legally" be renewed once at the office of migraciones.

It's important to keep in mind that if you have a 90 day extension from migraciones (aka the prorroga de permanencia) that if you go to Colonia to get a new 90 day visa, you must leave on or before the 90th day and not return the same day. If you return the same day you will not be granted a new 90 day visa. All "rights" to stay in Argentina also evaporate when you board the boat. These trips are unnecessary and carry more risk than reward...and no weight whatsoever with migraciones.

It's important to keep in mind that if you have a 90 day extension from migraciones (aka the prorroga de permanencia) that if you go to Colonia to get a new 90 day visa, you must leave on or before the 90th day and not return the same day. If you return the same day you will not be granted a new 90 day visa. All "rights" to stay in Argentina also evaporate when you board the boat. These trips are unnecessary and carry more risk than reward...and no weight whatsoever with migraciones.

Just to be clear: it's necessary to wait to return to Argentina until the day after the prorroga de permanencia (extension of stay) expires (aka the 91st day) in order to be granted a new 90 day visa upon reentry. Apparently the migraciones officials are still tolerating the "get a new 90 day visa" day trips, but they don't really keep you legal or legit. The officials who aren't disdainful of the tourists who continue to do this are probably somewhat amused as it's an incredible waste of time and money. And if it carries any weight with migraciones, it isn't a good kind of weight. It's the kind of weight that can drag down your plans to stay in Argentina. Unless you get temporary residency as prescribed by law, making these day trips could eventually have the opposite of the desired result, especially for those who do it more than three times, then leave Argentina and try to return through EZE.

A few comments:

"The Paris of the South" - I've lived in both (am writing this from Paris). This may have been true in the 1920s, but is not true now. When I read this phrase, I assume the writer doesn't know much about either. (Not saying you don't, but it's kind of a cliché)

"Relatively low living costs" - Relative to what? London, New York or San Francisco? Not sure when you lived in Buenos Aires, but things have gotten very expensive with years of 20, 30, 40 percent inflation. Of course that may change after this week's news.

"Don't walk at night" - Seems a little paranoid to me. Some neighborhoods, you need to be careful, but that's the same in any major city. Of course, if you are female, it may be a different story.

"Bring Dollars" - Not anymore!!!!

Other than these, it seems pretty accurate.

Good read.

Buenos Aires still pretty cheap compared to other world cities primarily because of rent and public transport/taxis. Not sure there are many places in best parts of LA/NYC/Sydney/London where you can rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment for USD 500 (give or take) per month. I know in Sydney you will pay more than that per week!

I get the difference in purchasing power (salaries) but in absolute terms still cheaper IMO.

Fair comment re security - Bs As safe by Latam standards but still need to be careful/vigilant more so than most countries we are from. Petty theft significantly higher than US, Canada, Aust/NZ most of Europe etc.

The guide is very informative, well written, and nicely presented, but I do not agree with the following:

"Don't overstay your visa.

If you are from a 3rd world country ( did not win the lottery of birth) and entered Argentina with a visa issued from the embassy of Argentina..Its important not to overstay it. Unless and until you never plan to exit the country and eventually will apply for citizenship via Bajo.

Because, if you do overstay the visa - Once you return home - the embassy will never issue you the visa again. Especially if you don't have a wife or baby as yet in Argentina..And its good bye to Argentina.

Back