New Guy

JamesMC

Registered
Hello everyone my name is James and I have joined this group because I have been considering on moving to Buenos Aires. I am 24 and have been serving in the military for 6 years. I am on my last tour overseas and will most likely be arriving in Buenos Aries in early September.

My plan for right now is visit and get to know the area for a month or my full 90 days and if I like it make more permanent arrangements. I will have some money saved up but will most likely be depending on my GI bill while I continue my college education online.

My interests or concerns are:
Cost of living
Place to rent
Employment
Motorcycle laws
Shipping stuff from home
Outdoor Activities
General Networking
Making some drinking buddies when I arrive

I have done a little research already. I understand the inflation of prices and have taken the advice of "don't come unless you have outside income."
My GI bill will be able to cover my bare necessities and I know how to pinch a penny when I have to. However, I am a young man and enjoy my beer very much. So I believe I will need a job for some of my extra activities. Any advice will be good advice and I hope to see you all soon.

Lucky for you alcohol is still relatively cheap. You can get a liter of Stella Artois for about $1.30 US and a liter of tequila for about $4.00 US.

There are many threads covering most of your interests/concerns, so be sure to search around the forum. I don't know much about motorcycle laws here, but I know I would never have the desire to ride one in this city. Traffic is conducted akin to herding sheep into a pen, except instead of sheep these are big metal machines that can kill people.

Networking among other English-speaking foreigners is very easy here. Argentines are very friendly but at the same time rather closed off and hesitant to bring a foreigner into their circle of friends. Meeting them through clubs and activities is one of the best ways.

The whole Bin Laden thing has been portrayed pretty negatively here, so be mindful of how you carry yourself due to your background.

SingForAbsolution said:
.....so be mindful of how you carry yourself due to your background.
Good advice, check out the politics here in Argentina. Good luck!

Motorcycle laws : quite flexible.
You can buy a bike even as a tourist, insure it also. I guess you could drive one with your US license but it seems this could be a problem if you have an accident (will insurance work?). Nevertheless, I drive my bike with my French license so it's possible doing so.

JamesMC said:
Hello everyone my name is James and I have joined this group because I have been considering on moving to Buenos Aires. ... My plan for right now is visit and get to know the area for a month or my full 90 days and if I like it make more permanent arrangements. ... I have done a little research already. I understand the inflation of prices and have taken the advice of "don't come unless you have outside income."
Hello James and welcome to Argentina (when you arrive :D ).

You have no idea what a pleasure it is to encounter someone who actually uses his brain to think! as opposed to many who act on an impulse (and sometimes regret it deeply). The thinking part is clearly demonstrated by your research and considerations of testing living here before you burn your bridges behind you.

When you arrive, check out the provinces, e.g. Córrientes, Mendoza, Rosario, and see if they perhaps suit you better than BsAs.

I have the impression that, on average, those of us who live "out here" in small towns of a million or two have fewer problems and are more satisfied than the porteño expats.

If you come to Mendoza, send me a PM (Private Msg.) before you arrive so we can arrange an informal introductory meeting with a number of local expats.

Cheers,
John

PS: Read these two threads to get a counterweight to some of the Argentina-bitching - it ain't all bad :D
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/15505-expats-still-here-after-five-years.html
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/15521-whats-your-favorite-positive-only-argentina-story.html

John.St said:
When you arrive, check out the provinces, e.g. Córrientes, Mendoza, Rosario, and see if they perhaps suit you better than BsAs.

This is good advice. Keep in mind they say that the hottest women are from Rosario and Mendoza, and I can attest to Mendoza ;)

SingForAbsolution said:
This is good advice. Keep in mind they say that the hottest women are from Rosario and Mendoza, and I can attest to Mendoza ;)
- and Tandil! but that is a real smalltown.

Hello All,

Looking for advice and well, personal experience to guide me on my move to Buenos Aires. I have a trading business that I do on the internet (between China and the United States).

I do not LOVE China and it is very difficult to learn the language - I miss a western culture with its roots in romantic language and culture.

I would be grateful for help in
1. Online Spanish courses prior to arriving in BA and then an emersion course once I am there.

2. Finding an apartment in a safe neighborhood and a fair price for the marketplace and convenient

3. How to meet new people (young and old - I am 59 - but spend most of my time in business and friendships with much younger people).

4. Like to hear your suggestions and observations as to what you think I should do to prepare for this new adventure.

Will be spending 6 months in Argentina and 6 months in China to begin. Then if I like BA or another part of Argentina moving there full time.

Thanks - very much looking forward to hearing from anyone with guidance!
Best.
Bob

Back