New Here - Moving to Buenos Aires in September

Hey, I'm Derek!

I'm big on humanitarian work. I've been focused on Venezuela and met a girl there. We're planning on moving to Buenos Aires in September.

Everything I've read/watched was pretty optimistic about Argentina but the comments here tell a different story. If I've learned anything in the past year, it's that you'll learn more about the reality on the ground from conversation than an a news article. I look forward to meeting you all and getting a more accurate view of Argentina!

**And if anybody is interested in helping out in Venezuela, I've been shipping supplies in for quite some times now and can point you in the direction of people who will give to those in need!**

Welcome to the forum. If you can generate reliable income you should love living here. I would like to hear about your experiences in Venezuela.

I'm British and my Argentine wife is always telling me to stop moaning. And she's right, I do moan quite a lot about the way things are here. Then again so does she. In fact she moans more than me as do most Argentine people I know. It's just that they don't like foreigners moaning about their country. Can't say I blame them I can't be arsed with foreigners moaning about anything British.
Argentina is a great country I'm sure you'll like it despite what you read on here.

Thanks everyone. I got a little nervous for a second there.

Welcome to the forum. If you can generate reliable income you should love living here. I would like to hear about your experiences in Venezuela.
I actually haven't been to Venezuela yet (and may not get the chance to until Maduro is out). The embassy unexpectedly denied my visa without explanation. Luckily most of what I've done has been sent through delivery services. I've been sending donations to a doctor at IAHULA in Mérida. She's been telling people's stories and sending pictures. It's almost impossible to grasp the magnitude of it. In the time it took for my first shipment to travel from New York to Mérida, four babies died of malnutrition.

Attachments

• 000Small1.jpg
    000Small1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 4
That's heartbreaking.

Do shipments actually get through? How difficult is it to get stuff to the people in need?

The service I use is called Liberty Express. The hardest part of making the shipments is that you have to make them out of New York or Miami, so it's usually 11-12 hours round trip. Everything always gets through though so it's worth it.

It's very easy to get it to people in need once it's been shipped. Almost every Venezuelan I've spoken to was either lacking food or meds for themselves or a family member. Nobody trusts anyone else in the country but I've found that it's mostly paranoia.

Back