new law covering birth? ...osde solution seeked

lexilein

Registered
Hi all!

I signed up for a OSDE plan (yes, after pregnancy... :eek:) and now they are telling me, that they won't cover the birth, still all "the normal visits at the doctor", but not the birth as I joined in with OSDE way too late. Anyone out there, who might have been facing the same problem? Also, I keep hearing, that there as been a "change of law regarding that issue", but unable to find any precise information on that.

Any helps or leads are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Lexi

There is a law from 2011 that regulates ¨medicina prepaga¨ in Argentina. It is the law number 26682.

Ok, the law says that they have to cover it. So, don t expect good will. You have to send a carta documento (made by a lawyer) and after that an amparo de salud. It works.
Any further info, just PM. Regards

great, will read the law now and look further into it. thanks a lot for all those informations!

I have Swiss and they told me that I had to be covered for 3 months prior to getting pregnant for them to cover it. I can't even change plans within Swiss after being pregnant. So if their supposed to cover it, you be the "squeaky wheel"! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

As a mum who gave birth and received excellent (OSDE) care in Bsas I wish you guys all the best BUT I would like to stress it that the private care system here is so good and so broad but that it will only continue to shrink and provide less coverage if people only sign up when they're pregnant, needing ops etc..Im not saying thats what happened in your cases but you can see how the system cannot work if people sign up late and don't have a sufficient payment period. It's business after all...no matter how much legislation CFK throws at it it has to make business sense. In my own case I was transferred to work in US, got health cverage and discovered I was pregnant about 2 weeks later and my health plan covered the birth all 10k of it so I genuinely wish you get all the coverage for the birth and afters you need for this special time!

Interesting point you raised fifs2! All those situations are very different from each other. In your case, your company signed you up and pays for the coverage, others have to find their individual solutions. I agree its business and I am very sure, that aside from all the treatment I will be recieving, which will cost a lot I am sure, I will be a great client, as I usually rarely visit to the doctor. Thus, I might be a very thankful client, who feels happy and stayes for a longer time with OSDE to express my thankfulness. I guess, that might not only apply to me, but to others as well, and a happy and thankful client, might refer a lot of new clients and result in a sort of win-win-situation for both sides. But, don't track me down on the exact calculation.

Leaving that aside. My lawyer did not give me any update on the case yet, but I will try to provide informations once I have more (please feel free to PM me, if needed).

My understanding is, that under this law you are covered. In my case the Martinez OSDE branch provided false information. The San Salvador de Jujuy OSDE branch did the job for me, when I popped in to pay my bills and they could not help overlooking my belly and changed me to the plan maternal without even telling me. I only got notice of it today, when I recieved a new OSDE card and wondered why... and figured, that it must have been that customer agent with whom I had payed my bills.

I have heard of woman, being very pregnant when signing in (only arrived in their 7th month in BA and had no chance to opt in before), gave birth at the hospital with no bills arriving yet. Maybe they bill it to the kid once it turns 18? ;-) That was OSDE. I know another case, not OSDE, where the family had to pay the bill, something like 5.000Pesos (last year).

Moreover, why not get together once with all our babys, toddlers whatever and chat over a cup of coffee ;-)

Notice: If you leave the country for more than 6month, OSDE freezes your plan/no pays/and just puts you back in track after your return in Argentine...important to those, who do not travel to USA, Canada, Israel or neighbouring countries.

A friend signed up for OSDE when she was three months pregnant / she was straight with them and told them.

They asked her to pay an extra three months premium and put her on the Plan Materno. No more questions asked.

I'm sorry but I feel you're trying to take advantage of the system here. :p OSDE is private, they have no obligation to pay your medical bills if you're not upfront to them when signing up. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something on their website that says you need to be a member for 8 months (210) before you're covered for maternity.

I signed up last year and one of the first things they asked me was if I was pregnant... I must have been asked at least 5 times between the 2 agents I talked to, to the point I was getting a little self conscious about it! :p There's even a form you have to fill out... I'm not sure how you got by that. :rolleyes:

In any case, I wish you well. OSDE is a pretty good company from my experience and I wouldn't want to ruin a good thing for others. I'm sure if you talk to them they'll cover it, but you may need to pay a larger share than just the basic plan since you signed up so late.

Back