New restaurant, need opinions

va2ba

Registered
Hello my fellow expats.

A few friends of mine and I are planning to open a new bar/restaurant that will be geared towards expats.

I am not interested in knowing what it takes to start a business here or anything like that.

What I would like to know is this:

What would you like to see in a new bar/restaurant in Buenos Aires for expats?

We plan on having a TV and the ability to show games from the US, having a happy hour and live music on some nights. I have seen many complaints on this forum about other expat oriented bars on this forum, so I am hoping that you all can give us some insight into what would make our restaurant stand apart.

What would you like the atmosphere to be like? What kind of food? Would you perfer finger food in a bar, main courses that require you to use a fork and a knife, or both? What type of drinks would you like to see more than just a bottle of Quilmes? What type of music would you like?

Just to intice you to help us a bit, anyone who offers constructive help will receive a coupon that they can print and bring to the restaurant once we open :)

What I would love to see is American-style service in a restaurant? Smiling waiters/waitresses? "Is everything OK? Can I get ya' a refill?" I rarely ever eat out in Argentina because service is a nightmare.

Can you do away with bottled water and just bring (filtered) water in a glass with ice?

Fountain sodas instead of soda in a bottle/can? (a la McDonald's, Burger King, etc.) .. and free refills?

American style service is a priority of mine. I waited tables for two years in the states and the service here is appalling to me. But rest assured I will be waiting the tables and making sure you have everything you need.

I´m not sure about doing the fountain drinks, but it's is defiantly possible. It is something to look into.

Any thoughts on food bradlyhale?

I'm not very picky when it comes to food. I like most of the food in Argentine restaurants. (Empanadas, pizza, spaghetti, etc.) I like most typical American foods. (Hamburgers, fries, etc.) But again, I'll eat almost anything, so this is probably one area that wouldn't disappoint me.

Given that most people on this forum are from the United States (from that poll?), I think you could win us all over with better service and efficiency. For example, bringing the check to the table instead of forcing the customers to make a scene would be a huge improvement. You could also setup a cash register where people were expected to pay instead of having customers hunt down the waitress/waiter. It's a pain in the ass to have to awkwardly get the attention of the waitress/waiter for the check and then awkwardly try to divide the bill with the person who I'm eating with while the waitress/waiter awkwardly hovers...grr!

Let the forum know when you open. I'll stop by!

We´re not sure where we are going with the food just yet. But it looks like we might lean more towards being a bar, just with a better menu than most bars.

The cash regeister is a good idea, defiantly possible.

Keep the ideas coming! We need all these different ideas to think about. :)

A few suggestions

TV-I'd like to see more than one TV(ALA Alamo),esp/ for times like now when you have playoffs going in
hockey and basketball,baseball regular season.Nothing worse than showing up hoping to see a specific game and its not on because theyre watching something else.

Food-how about GOOD FOOD? Something that wont clog your arteries and take years off your life.
In addition to some good food,it would be nice to see some place offer up some real Mexican food...chips and salsa/guacamole(GASP!) a good BIG hamburger would be cool too!

Va2Ba when and where is this place opening up?

Music-classic rock
Service..as Bradly stated above.Also ample seating.Ive walked outta certain bars cuz theyre arent any places to sit and chill.

A pinball machine?

And also the "servicio de mesa" charge, which covers the cost of bread, napkins, silverware, etc. Just charge one price and don't tack on extras. North americans do not like being nickled and dimed to death but here there is an additional charge for everything. For example I've even seen in some restaurants the pasta (noodles or filled pasta) have one price and then there are different prices for each sauce. I also agree with the water part. Everybody should have a right to a glass of water (free of charge) at a meal in a restaurant.

I just love the fact that I am not bothered while eating as I am in the U.S. Seems waiters are always asking if everything is alright just as you are chewing your food. And I do not appreciate receiving the bill BEFORE I ask for it. Upscale restaurants in the States have this type of service and it is one of the many things I love about BA.

I must have phenomenal skills at picking restaurants, bc I rarely experience such terrible service or horrible food. More often than not the server checks in - Todo bien ? - at least once or more.

My primary complaint is that I definitely eat more pizza than I want to ...

And I want free water, dammit. And no cubierto charge.

As to what's lacking on the BA scene ? I'm completely missing a few of my fave tapas wine bars (with more Spanish style tapas).

Back