NEW SHORT STORY TRANSLATION: "Boundless Road" by Ariel Urquiza

quitodario

Registered
Hello fellow ex-pats. Just posted a new short story translation on the blog Contemporary Argentine Writers:

"Boundless Road" by Ariel Urquiza

“I like the desert,” said the passenger. “It reminds me of when I was a kid. When my brothers and I got into trouble, my grandmother would say that she was going to leave us out in the desert so the sun could cleanse us of our sins. Imagine all the sun I would need at this point in my life.”

The driver took his hand from the gearshift and slid the seat back to give himself more room. When he finished adjusting it, he turned on the radio but couldn’t tune anything in.

“It’s been two years since this piece of shit hasn’t worked and they still haven’t fixed it,” he said. Still, he kept turning the knob from one end of the dial to the other, until he gave up and turned it off.

“Poor grandma,” said the passenger, not giving the silence a chance to grow. “When she was an old woman, she sat by her front door and stayed there all day. There comes a time when life is nothing more than memories, she used to say, and what measly things memories are.”

https://contemporaryargentinewriters.wordpress.com/2018/04/22/boundless-road-by-ariel-urquiza/

Back