New to the forum, new to Buenos Aires

pea_little

Registered
My husband and 20 month old daughter and I just moved here from Colorado, USA. I've been lurking around for a couple days and appreciate all I've learned from you as we try to make a home here. We'll be here through June. Looking forward to more!

Jamie

You moved from such a beautiful place to a permanently troubled spot. Did something bad happen to make you flee? It always baffles me why people move their whole family here. Broken sidewalks, pollution like you didnt know existed, unhappy, paranoid, fearful, bitter people, lousy food, and just a list of so much dispair Ill cut it short. If you didnt come here to live like a local, then you should be ok. If you came here to live like them, earn like them (a dollar or 2 an hour with soaring inflation), then God help you, its not too late to give them place up.

Theres always so much newcomers dont know for good reason as they are new. Coffee is poor quality ground with 10% sugar, juice is loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup, argentina had 6 military coups, not just one, almost everyone gets away with everything here. just try to punish someone, just try. see the women in the streets with incredibly wrinkled faces clinging to their bags with all their strength, twisting their bodies in contortions? Well, must be a reason for so much fear dont you think?

If you have nothing to do all day, have a steady stream of NON argentine income, then sit back and eat the loaf of idleness with the polo crowd that moved here. Just dont live like an argentine, thats my biggest advice. If you do, you will see your quality of life, your enjoyment of life sink like a boulder.

brocolliandtea said:
If you do (live like an Argentine), you will see your quality of life, your enjoyment of life sink like a boulder.

Hopefully, you didn't move here from Boulder...

Though you may find that there are fewer Che Guevara t-shirts here (on a per capita basis).

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to BA and the forum! Thanks for posting an intro in the Newcomers forum. I'm sure you and your family will have a great time. There are many of expat families in BA with children and they do just fine.

Enjoy the city and good luck! :)

ps: Never mind some of the negativity you might read here around here. Apparently some can read a whole lot more from just an innocent intro, and feel they must tell you better (without even knowing you, or your situation). Anyways, your reasons are you own and you don't owe anyone here an explanation (particularly to the "Debby Downer" crowd). ;)

Brocolliandtea, you sound pretty down, maybe it's time for you to go home.

Nancy

Thanks for the welcomes, and I guess for the warnings. Actually, I think we've seen the worst of time here--my hubby just had emergency surgery last night. Yes, in a third-world country. And he's doing great. Happy to have him alive and kicking. We are from CO Springs, and do miss the ultra-clean air. But we are up for our stint here and view it as and adventure. We are living in the Palermo area and are happy to connect with any families living here with families, or that have baby-sitting/nanny recommendations!

pea_little said:
Actually, I think we've seen the worst of time here--my hubby just had emergency surgery last night. Yes, in a third-world country. And he's doing great.

If you think Argentina is a "third world" country, what would you call Haiti before the earthquake?

Heath care here in general is first world quality, even in some of the "public" hospitals (especially in areas where foreigners live).

Certainly not complaining about the care he received! I'm nothing but grateful! :)

brocolliandtea said:
You moved from such a beautiful place to a permanently troubled spot. Did something bad happen to make you flee? It always baffles me why people move their whole family here. Broken sidewalks, pollution like you didnt know existed, unhappy, paranoid, fearful, bitter people, lousy food, and just a list of so much dispair Ill cut it short. If you didnt come here to live like a local, then you should be ok. If you came here to live like them, earn like them (a dollar or 2 an hour with soaring inflation), then God help you, its not too late to give them place up.

Theres always so much newcomers dont know for good reason as they are new. Coffee is poor quality ground with 10% sugar, juice is loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup, argentina had 6 military coups, not just one, almost everyone gets away with everything here. just try to punish someone, just try. see the women in the streets with incredibly wrinkled faces clinging to their bags with all their strength, twisting their bodies in contortions? Well, must be a reason for so much fear dont you think?

If you have nothing to do all day, have a steady stream of NON argentine income, then sit back and eat the loaf of idleness with the polo crowd that moved here. Just dont live like an argentine, thats my biggest advice. If you do, you will see your quality of life, your enjoyment of life sink like a boulder.

I don't think your characterization of Buenos Aires is unfair. However, what I do think is unfair (and arrogant!) is to suggest that elsewhere life is perfect.

There are positives and negatives in every country. I like to think about the positives:

- Cheap public transportation in Argentina. 0.28 USD for a ride on the subway in Buenos Aires, in comparison to $2.25 USD in New York City.
- Access to health care, which is already mentioned in this thread.
- Access to education, public schools are free
- Bars and clubs that don't close at 1:30 like they do here at home. (My personal favorite, as I'm a 20something who likes to have a good time. :) )
... etc., etc.

I am from the United States, and the United States isn't perfect. Do you think everyone is happy here? Do you think everyone is just rolling in money?

- The access to health care in the U.S. is horrid
- Higher education is absurdly expensive. I'm in graduate school, and I'm paying $625 USD per credit hour.
- The only people that are happy and rolling in the money are politicians
and bankers
- 10% (higher in some states) of the population is unemployed.

I could go on and on, but I need to make myself a fine cup of Folgers coffee. :rolleyes:

Get off your high horse, or get the hell out.

Brocolliandtea, you are such a pussy that a broken sidewalk make you bitch about in like 20 posts? You keep saying the same shit over and over.
Sure you´d say the same thing about any city in the world you´probably live.
You can run away from everything except from yourself.

Back