New To The Group And Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marielferrer

Registered
Hi everyone! My name is Mariel and I am from the Philippines. I plan to move to Buenos Aires in June. I need some information
regarding teaching English in the city. First off, Is it imperative that I have an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) certification since I am not considered a native speaker? Are schools or potential students very particular with that? I have a bachelor's degree in Communications as of the moment and I am about to take a TEFL/TESOL course here in Manila. Also, I of course plan to take an intensive Spanish course while I am there since based on my 2-week stay in Argentina, it is almost impossible to get around without knowing the language. Do you have recommendations as to which school has good classes and at the same time affordable rates? I will be based in Castellar. Hope you can help little ol' me! Gracias amigos!

The only thing is that the native speakers living here, may be offended that a non-native speaker, intends teaching English in BA and take their livelihood

Castelar? That's outside the city... and depending where, can have some rough parts.
I think students do prefer native English speakers.... institutes requirements will vary. Most of the students/institutes are in the city, so you'll probably be traveling a lot unless you can find something in the area. Coming to teach English can be a challenge.

The only thing is that the native speakers living here, may be offended that a non-native speaker, intends teaching English in BA and take their livelihood

oh...I would think native speakers should be proud that another person from another side of the world was able to master his/her language. English is already a universal language in this day and age and I hope my country of origin would not permit me from teaching it there.

Yes Castellar is a bit far from Buenos Aires but as of the moment teaching english is my only chance for employment. I am actually starting from scratch as I have been an advertising copywriter for many years now. My intention for moving to Buenos Aires is to be with my boyfriend. So, I plan to learn Spanish and teach english at the same time. It's a difficult task as I am a Filipina and live all the way in Asia but i've always been up for the unknown so who knows right?

oh...I would think native speakers should be proud that another person from another side of the world was able to master his/her language. English is already a universal language in this day and age and I hope my country of origin would not permit me from teaching it there.

Ma'am, What you saying is totally unacceptable to the native speakers, who live in BA. They firmly believe that anyone who was not born or has lived in US/UK/NZ/AUS during their growing-up years, have no possibility to master his/her language. They do not believe that English is a universal language in this day/age as yet.

They would be ashamed (when they die, they would turn in their graves) , that a person from another side of the world, is claiming to have mastered their niche language.

If you stay longer on this forum, your posts written in English will be shredded to peaces and you may be asked to go and take English lessons yourself, before posting any further.

Ma'am, What you saying is totally unacceptable to the native speakers, who live in BA. They firmly believe that anyone who was not born or has lived in US/UK/NZ/AUS during their growing-up years, have no possibility to master his/her language. They do not believe that English is a universal language in this day/age as yet.

They would be ashamed, that a person from another side of the world, is claiming to have mastered their niche language.

If you stay longer on this forum, your posts written in English will be shredded to peaces and you may be asked to go and take English lessons yourself, before posting any further.

Did someone hurt your feelings Ceviche? Should have studied those prepositions more while you had your chance.

The problem with a non-native English speaker teaching English is that Argentina is full of non-native English teachers. The only reason native English teachers have jobs is due to the fact that they are *native* English speakers. If you're not, then what do you have to set yourself apart? Argentina is full of mediocre English teachers and speakers.

That said, OP, FFS, you might as well just come and be another.

Don't worry Mariel, that''s just Ceviche's reaction to learning you already have a boyfriend (not everyday a South East Asian girl comes by Cevichhe's hood)

Teaching English, even if native, is a waste of time.

Growing up in the Philippines, how much English and Spanish (or its local dialect) did you catch?

Basing myself utterly on stereotypes from my 3D rendering friends, the work ethic you take for granted as minimum effort translates into exceptional dedication in Argentina so as you say, who knows, you might make it here one way or another.

Did someone hurt your feelings Ceviche? Should have studied those prepositions more while you had your chance.

Not at all hurt. I am so indebted to all the native speakers living in BA, that they made me aware of my poor writing skills. And just now, to the great Sir Sleslie23, to learn my mistakes, while using prepositions. So thankful to the wonderful native teachers, who live on this forum.

Sir Sleslie 23, which school did you go to? I may consider going back to school & taking admission in your esteemed school, where you learnt the art of writing such perfect English, yourself. May I know, Sir?

Sir Sleslie 23, Is this true? I heard everyone who is born in your esteemed country, knows perfect use of prepositions? What a awesome country it must be, where everyone knows the native language so perfectly!!

Marielferrer, how are your prepositions? Better practice them, before you post here any further, lest you face the wrath of Sir Sleslie23. Our honorable Sir is very punctilious about prepositions.

Yes Castellar is a bit far from Buenos Aires but as of the moment teaching english is my only chance for employment. I am actually starting from scratch as I have been an advertising copywriter for many years now. My intention for moving to Buenos Aires is to be with my boyfriend. So, I plan to learn Spanish and teach english at the same time. It's a difficult task as I am a Filipina and live all the way in Asia but i've always been up for the unknown so who knows right?
Hold it.....In Cap Fed you will find all of the major US and multinational Ad Agencies. And they are doing allot of the English based work for NY, London and LA shops that desire great creative at reduced rates. They hire English speakers and English speaking copy writers.
It's a hell of allot better than trying to teach English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back