New To The Group And Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be super discouraging, but I have to second (and third) the comments here about teaching English in BA as a non-native speaker. Although my Spanish tutor spoke English very well (and could explain to me some of the grammatical rules that I didn't even know), I would not have hired her to teach me English as an Argentine. There is a lot of snobbery here and in other countries about only learning from a mother tongue English speaker. You may know the ins and outs of different verbs, but English has very complicated pronunciation, and most non-native speakers get a lot of those details wrong.
Better to find another angle if you want to stay in BA and work. Best of luck.

Important thing to take note of :-

Level of Filipino English is totally different from level of Argentine English. I have spent considerable time working with Filipinos in Manila. And the educated Filipinos speak excellent English. Most importantly, they along with Indians, are the first choice for working in call centres, to speak to Americans for marketing or for answering customer support.

Many of them are given accent reduction training.

English is almost the first language in Philippines..be it the working language in banks, multinational offices, telecommunication centres, post office etc. English is not the official language in Argentina in any public office.

Regarding accents, every person has a accent from the region one belongs to. Filipinos tend to have a bit of Tagalog accent in their English. Indians have their Hindi accent in their English. But it does not mean they are speaking wrong English.

If you travel to Paraguay, many of you fluent Spanish speakers will really struggle to understand their Spanish unless you have been exposed to Paraguayan Spanish on a regular basis. Its because, their Spanish has a major influence of Guarani accent which is very difficult to catch. Even Argies struggle to understand the Paraguayan Spanish in the interiors of Paraguay. It does not mean the Paraguayan is speaking wrong Spanish or inferior Spanish to a Argentino.

Truly, if one considers himself/herself, master of a language, one should be able to understand the language in any accent. Coming to English, bring me a New Zealander or a Irish or a Australian or a Filipino or Trinidad or Nigerian..I can understand all of them in first instance. It comes only when one is himself at top of the language.

Bring me a Argentine or a Braziliero speaking really abnoxious and broken English, I will 99.9% times understand what he wants to put across. It comes from having a sharp mind and open mindness towards any kind of communication.

So many times you meet these *native speakers* in BA who don't want to acknowledge any other accent than their own and pretend not to understand a non native speaker or simply refuse to open up to other accents. The message to them is "better speak in my accent or F&^K off"

So many times in the past when I did not know better Spanish and spoke in my broken Spanish, the locals refuse to understand anything I said. It was very frustrating thought I knew that some of the words I said was pretty close to the real word..but was not good enough

etc etc etc

hello I am movimg to argentina soon and when I mean soon I mean as soon as I can get my worldly goods from bloomington illinois to la falda argentina. Getting it to buenos aires seems no problem but american shipping companies either are reluctant or unable to get it the last 474 miles from the port to la falda cordoba., any suggestions how to get past this impasse, what about freight forwarders in argentina or promotor de cargo or can i rent a truck like uhaul here in the states and move it all myself from the port to my house in la falda any help would be very appreciate4d dave

hello I am movimg to argentina soon and when I mean soon I mean as soon as I can get my worldly goods from bloomington illinois to la falda argentina. Getting it to buenos aires seems no problem but american shipping companies either are reluctant or unable to get it the last 474 miles from the port to la falda cordoba., any suggestions how to get past this impasse, what about freight forwarders in argentina or promotor de cargo or can i rent a truck like uhaul here in the states and move it all myself from the port to my house in la falda any help would be very appreciate4d dave

My advice would be to bring all your belongings in several bags with you on the plane; nowadays it seems to be your best bet.

Mariel - the ad agencies here are always hiring. I interviewed yesterday and has to turn them down due to the salary - so yes, salaries are very low. But it hurt so much to turn it down,there are some amazing opportunities here. And the ad work done here is truly top notch. Check linked in for r/ga, ogilvy,havas, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back