New Year's in Argentina

cassiem13

Registered
Hi all!
I know it seems pretty far away still, but New Year's will be upon us sooner than we know! I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for Argentine New Year's? I've heard that BsAs itself is kinda dead (so many people on holiday, quizas?), but that there are some great places in Argentina and Uruguay to celebrate. I, of course, want something reasonable ($$-wise), but I also wanna have a good time! I'm in my mid-twenties, if that helps. Any suggestions?

Many restaurants (especially in Puerto Madero) offer a fixed-price new year's menu (USD $100+ pp), that usually includes a lot of courses, drinks, and champagne to celebrate at midnight. In Puerto Madero, just before midnight, people come out of the restaurants with their glasses onto the walkways (where there's usually live music and fireworks) and celebrate among friends or strangers. There are also fireworks all over the city, which you can best enjoy with if you are high up on a terrace or balcony.

We've done the holiday menu thing with the crowds, but nothing beats watching the fireworks from above (21st floor) while enjoying drinks with friends. :rolleyes:

Almost all of the restaurants have a special meal / entertainment planned for New Year's eve. In the burbs, prices drop big time. (u$s 50 per person or even less)
You have to book your table in advance.

Most of us (Argentines) hang out with family and / or friends in a house.

New Year's eve venues depends on how old you are: for young people, there's myriads of partys. (homes or clubs)

Wherever you are, watch out for fireworks: they're everywhere and start at midnight sharp.

If you have a local friend and are fortunate enough to get invited to a family gathering, it's about the most fun you can have in BA for New Year. You'll probably be treated like part of the family by the end of the party.

I think the best place to go would be Punta del Este in Uruguay. However, it can be very expensive. If you are going to go, book now!

In Capital Federal I think your best bet is to meet up with friends for a house party. The clubs are packed on New Years in Cap Fed so prepare yourself for long lines, really drunk people and overcrowded dance floors.

If you wanted to do the Argentine coast I think Pinamar would be the best bet for parties. However, Pinamar is very Argentine, ie you will not bump into a lot of foreign tourists there.

oxente! said:
I think the best place to go would be Punta del Este in Uruguay. However, it can be very expensive. If you are going to go, book now!

In Capital Federal I think your best bet is to meet up with friends for a house party. The clubs are packed on New Years in Cap Fed so prepare yourself for long lines, really drunk people and overcrowded dance floors.

If you wanted to do the Argentine coast I think Pinamar would be the best bet for parties. However, Pinamar is very Argentine, ie you will not bump into a lot of foreign tourists there.

Why on earth you come to a country and want to be with "foreign tourists"? STAY HOME then! The fun of knowing a new country is to hang with locals. And for that, learn the language!

Just remember that there's "no" transportation on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve--no taxis, few colectivos. So even if you can find a place to go and can get there, it can be very difficult to get home if you don't have your own car. Taxis start running again around 4 a.m. Best to go somewhere within walking distance.

Thanks everyone! Have you been to Pinamar? Know what it's like (on New Years) (well, or anytime for that matter... I've never been!)?

I'm assuming the parties last until sunrise (or later...) on New Years just like the rest of the time... So as long as we're prepared for a loooong night, the transportation thing shouldn't be too much of a problem, yeah?

Back