New York Style Pizza

DA

Registered
Where can I get good New York style Pizza Here in BA?

"DA" said:
Where can I get good New York style Pizza Here in BA?
Me too, I'm dying for a wet, greasy, & sloppy pepperoni & sausage pizza, it has been 4 months, and A LOT of exploring. I'm STILL turning up empty handed. From my own researches, the last place that served a pepperoni pizza was Pizza Hut, and that chain left Argentina in 1998... Other than that, I could also live with a Sicillian style pizza, which I've had 2 weeks ago in Montevideo. If you guys know of any, in BA please let me know. I'm not going back to visit the States until Christmas and even though the food is great here, I'd like to know about the alternatives that are out there.

Hmmm I know of a place that makes a pizza just like Pizza hut....but you will have to send me one for me to reveal the top secret... pan pizza with pepperoni and all the stuff =)

First impulse is to say "try New York City".
After that, I have to say that it will be very difficult to find. Because that's not the style they eat here and that's that. They're not too big on trying new things.
Dunkin Donuts was here a few years ago and it died, because I'm told "We already had media lunas, why did we need donuts?" I'm not kidding. The idea of trying new things is foreign to them. They don't go out to experience the food as much as to eat something while they enjoy the company of those they are eating with.
The next post that details where to get NYC style pizza will be the first post/word that I've heard of it existing here in BsAs.

Is anyone up to start a New York style Pizza shop here in BA with me??
The Americans that started the California Burrito Co on Lavalle are doing very vell and are looking to open a second resturant soon.
I think a New York style Pizza shop would do great here in BA.

I am 'all for it'. Starting up a specialty operation like this is a great idea. Especially seeing as how many u.s. tourists travel here (and then live here). Besides that, variety is the spice of life (or one would hope). Firmly quoting Napoleon, "Argentines are not keen on change". The burrito joint is great, a break-through performance. I kringe at the word, 'chain restaurant', but I would love it if they would like to open a location in my neck of the woods. Much like the Dunkin Donuts bust, I would caution another repeat performance. The thought is great, but i'm afraid it would just get shot down due to the fact that there are so many pizza/empanada joints in this city.
My vote, and perspective business venture, would be a smoothie cafe in the heart of each business district. Just think about the success of Jamba / Planet Smoothie. 'Short on time? - high in nutrition - low in calories'. The overhead and startup cost of a smoothie shop is completely attainable. There's no need for seating or ventilation for heating elements. Just coolers, blenders, cups/lids/straws, and your golden. I know, I can hear it now...... "But, ummmm, we already have liquados, why do we need a smoothie bar. The answer(s) my friends: Speed, efficiency, quality, and variety.
If someone else is interested, please let me know. I have nothing but my time and creativity to contribute, but isn't that half the battle.....

DA Sounds like a good idea, but 1st off, we'd need to find or make pepperoni, Italian sausage, and the wet, thin crust, the kind that droops down, drips oil, cheese and pretty much everything on it all over the place. I'm talking about the REAL NY style pizza, not the niced up commercial/trendy version. BBQ chicken would be nice to have here too. I had to make my own Alfredo sauce because it doesn't exist here.

DA Sounds like a good idea, but 1st off, we'd need to find or make pepperoni, Italian sausage.Sorry guys but outside of the U.S. there is no such thing. I never seen pepperoni on a pizza in Italy either. Pepperoni is a word in Italian that means pepper (plural). You would have to import it from the U.S. or find some local product that's close. Probably your best bet would be some type of local spicy salami. Good luck if you go forward but from what I have seen and heard starting or running a business here can be tough unless you do everything yourself. Hiring employees can can be expensive (employer payroll expense is over 50%). Work attitudes aren't the best either with a lot of the employees feeling they are doing you a favor if they show-up for work.If you decide to get rid of somebody it can be very difficult. I have a Argentine friend who tried to fire an employee that worked in his business. His complaint was that the employee was only showing up about three days a week and when he did come to work he was drunk. This guy had to hire a lawyer and spent almost a week of his time in court. He lost the case, the court ruled not showing up and being drunk on the job were not sufficient grounds for terminating the employee.

"Stanexpat" said:
Work attitudes aren't the best either with a lot of the employees feeling they are doing you a favor if they show-up for work.
If you decide to get rid of somebody it can be very difficult. I have a Argentine friend who tried to fire an employee that worked in his business. His complaint was that the employee was only showing up about three days a week and when he did come to work he was drunk. This guy had to hire a lawyer and spent almost a week of his time in court. He lost the case, the court ruled not showing up and being drunk on the job were not sufficient grounds for terminating the employee.
Note to self: DON'T HIRE ARGENTINES!
Sorry, but that's just hilarious. My suggestion would be only to hire illegals. Like US college kids here for a semester. Or Paraguayans, Bolivians, Ecuadorians (sp?) or basically anyone who CAN'T sue you.
That ruling is truly classic. It explains how about 100 years ago the USA & Argentina had the same GNP and... well... not so much anymore.

Hi there, I have a bar in Las Cañitas called Drink Gallery.
We have Pepperoni Pizza with BBQ sauce. And great Buffalo wings too.
Come and visit us on the corner of Arce and Chenaut.

Back