New Yorkers From An Argentine Perspective?

chris

Registered
I just read an article in the NY Observer entitled The New Nasty. To my surprise, it ends this way:

In Buenos Aires, images of Eva Peron’s tight blonde chignon and lilting smile are omnipresent on sides of buildings and chic little shrines and crèches. I approached the concierge desk at one of B.A.’s chicest hotels to arrange a car and driver to take me to the ultra-cool Palermo section.

“Can I arrange a driver who speaks English?” I asked.

“Ingles? For some reason we thought perhaps you were frances, señor.” The concierges looked me up and down.

“No, I am from the U.S.A.” I said politely.

“Where?”

“New York City.”

“Really?” They eye-rolled each other and proceeded to contact the car service and provide me with a small map.

“Thank you so very much,” I said as I tipped both. “Oh, but I do have one question. Why did you think I was French, as opposed to being American?” I inquired.

“Your suit has a very European cut to it,” the dashing one said.

“Oh, and I’ve heard you’re so very nice and generous to the staff,” his model-esque assistant added.

“Nice? That’s interesting,” I said, a bit confused. “Why does that mean I might be French?”

“People from New York are not like you,” they said matter-of-factly. “Plus, you look like if you put Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart and Gerard Depardieu in…in how you say, licuadora…blender.”

“That’s kind.” I smiled. “But what’s wrong with New Yorkers?”

“They are very…” He paused. “How do you say…exigente…demanding.”

“And they want everything rapido…quick, quick, quick,” added his female counterpart as she adjusted her silk scarf.

“Really?”

“And they can be very mean.” Both nodded.

“Mean? How so?”

“Yes. How do you say asqueroso…nasty? You know, complaining all the time, ‘Get this now and I want it now,’ and, ‘don’t you know what you are doing?’ etc. One wife told her husband to shut up in front of me…but I do have to say the New York peoples, they tip the very best out of anyone.”

“As opposed to?” I asked.

“The Germans are the worst tippers. They take sandwiches wherever they go in brown paper bags they buy in the how do you say…tienda de conveniencua…convenience store, so they don’t have to spend in a restaurant before they board the tour bus. But you are very nice.”

“Really? A nice New Yorker?” I raised an eyebrow in mock surprise.

“Yes, something new.” They nodded in unison. “A nice New Yorker!” They practically beamed at their discovery.

“Thank you.” I knew it was a backhanded compliment—but I also knew better than to reinforce the stereotype by complaining about it.

I just read an article in the NY Observer entitled The New Nasty. To my surprise, it ends this way:

In Buenos Aires, images of Eva Peron’s tight blonde chignon and lilting smile are omnipresent on sides of buildings and chic little shrines and crèches. I approached the concierge desk at one of B.A.’s chicest hotels to arrange a car and driver to take me to the ultra-cool Palermo section.

“Can I arrange a driver who speaks English?” I asked.

“Ingles? For some reason we thought perhaps you were frances, señor.” The concierges looked me up and down.

“No, I am from the U.S.A.” I said politely.

“Where?”

“New York City.”

“Really?” They eye-rolled each other and proceeded to contact the car service and provide me with a small map.

“Thank you so very much,” I said as I tipped both. “Oh, but I do have one question. Why did you think I was French, as opposed to being American?” I inquired.

“Your suit has a very European cut to it,” the dashing one said.

“Oh, and I’ve heard you’re so very nice and generous to the staff,” his model-esque assistant added.

“Nice? That’s interesting,” I said, a bit confused. “Why does that mean I might be French?”

“People from New York are not like you,” they said matter-of-factly. “Plus, you look like if you put Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart and Gerard Depardieu in…in how you say, licuadora…blender.”

“That’s kind.” I smiled. “But what’s wrong with New Yorkers?”

“They are very…” He paused. “How do you say…exigente…demanding.”

“And they want everything rapido…quick, quick, quick,” added his female counterpart as she adjusted her silk scarf.

“Really?”

“And they can be very mean.” Both nodded.

“Mean? How so?”

“Yes. How do you say asqueroso…nasty? You know, complaining all the time, ‘Get this now and I want it now,’ and, ‘don’t you know what you are doing?’ etc. One wife told her husband to shut up in front of me…but I do have to say the New York peoples, they tip the very best out of anyone.”

“As opposed to?” I asked.

“The Germans are the worst tippers. They take sandwiches wherever they go in brown paper bags they buy in the how do you say…tienda de conveniencua…convenience store, so they don’t have to spend in a restaurant before they board the tour bus. But you are very nice.”

“Really? A nice New Yorker?” I raised an eyebrow in mock surprise.

“Yes, something new.” They nodded in unison. “A nice New Yorker!” They practically beamed at their discovery.

“Thank you.” I knew it was a backhanded compliment—but I also knew better than to reinforce the stereotype by complaining about it.

Smells like a lie, all the way through. What concierge would badmouth his hotel's own guests to a complete stranger? Not even in France.

Of course it was on the Internet, so I suppose it has to be true.

The Observer is a print paper primarily but I get your point -- I thought the dialogue sounded phony, like the kind of dialogue made up by Hollywood writers who throw in an occasional "señor" which a native Spanish speaker wouldn't do. Who doesn't know "sir"?

Gosh I wonder was that as painful to write as it was to read

Im ian,from the philippines, also know as the home of the champion of music, singing rather. anyone out there, care to message me?

Portenos are New Yorker's ( distant ) cousins... if there is anything that you will learn over time is that your own people ( Americans and Argentine ) do not like you and the rest of the world do not like you eithe - the best thing is that you don't give c**p about it :D

nikad:
As a native New Yorker and a porteño by adoption,you are right.Neither one gives a crap what anyone else thinks about their egocentrism re:their 2 cities.
I am still technologically challenged re link making but if you google a "New Yorker's View of the USA" you'll see a number of maps by New Yorkers on this subject.
A group of NYC retirees used to gather at The Carneige Deli for lunch.One day Harry didn't show up.His friend asked,"Where's Harry?".The others answered "He's went abroad". .The 1st guy replied,"I didn't know that Harry was a world traveller.Where did he go? Paris?London?.They answered ,"No,Cleveland".

Porteños don't have anything on New Yorkers. :p

I haven't been to New York many times despite my father being from NYC and having family there. Every time I've been though, it's always been a bit of a culture shock to get used to their rudene.... I mean speed and efficiency.

There's a lot of New Yorkers in South Florida as well, but they're old and somewhat mellowed out.

Good job EJ picking off another phony! You motivated me to recover my lost password of three years to compliment you. I only wish we were responding directly to the stereotyping simpleton that had to manufacture a story to take a shot at New Yorkers for not recognizing him as the next Ernest Hemingway the minute he took the bus into town from Kennedy airport.

Back