Newbie Introduction And A Couple Questions

Wilson

Registered
Hello! Or should I say, hola! No really, I barely know Spanish, should I say hola or not?

Anyway, I'm Wil, currently living in the Pacific Northwest but very seriously considering a longterm/permanent move to BA in the near future. I'm an illustrator and writer, have one book deal in the can and another in the works, but still am not making enough to survive in any real way.

Argentina is the home of one of my all-time favorite authors (Borges, of course), favorite contemporary author (César Aira) and favorite contemporary musician (Juana Molina), so it would appear to be a singularly inspiring place. Also, an inexpensive place. Both are attributes that should pique the interest of any artist.

However, there are still a millions things I don't know about living in Buenos Aires. So. Here I am, hoping to find helpful information from expats who've gone before me.

My most pressing question is how much Spanish does one require to get by in Buenos Aires? I've every intention of jumping headfirst into Spanish while there, and already begun self-directed lessons. But wheels down I'll have the vocabulary of a toddler or very well-trained dog.

Also, is it as inexpensive as I hear to live in BA? Got a lead on a studio in Sam Telmo for $650 a month, which is hundreds below what I'm currently paying but not as cheap as I assumed. So is the savings in foodstuffs and transportation? What would be the usual grocery bill for a single vegetarian, approximately?

Thanks a million in advance for any advice, and see you around the forums!

W.

Actually Juana Molina is from here but I think she lives in the states....

Also these are pretty much the same questions that every newbie asks so check out in the search bar "newbie questions" or "thinking of moving" and then just look at the month/year it was written and add 30% per year increase on to those prices.

Juana lives in Argentina.
She lived briefly in LA something like ten years ago.

Argentina is NOT a cheap third world country.
Many things are cheaper here than the USA, other things are more expensive, but it isnt some bargain paradise.
Come here because you want to, not to save money.

First, you absolutely have to come down for two or three weeks, and experience it first hand.

There are several of us on this site from the Pacific northwest.

All of your "rationale" is based on emotion, not logic. So be prepared for many surprises. Don't expect to make a living here hang on to those "book" deals. You will find BA to be expensive and unpredictable. Other than that, get down here ASAP the government needs dollars.

Welcome to Sarajevo South....!!

Personas-ferrocarril-Villa-Illia-DyN_CLAIMA20131230_0134_17.jpg

Thanks lucha54! It's been a little tricky navigating the forums to find information, but your advice should be helpful.

Ries, I don't expect Argentina to be a bargain paradise. I like Argentina and am looking forward to exploring it. But I am also interested in getting a handle on the price differences between here and BA, mainly in terms of food since I don't require many other expenses. Thanks for your recommendation of visiting first, I'll take that to heart!

Ghost, I don't understand your use of quotation marks.

Rich One, looks pretty bad, thanks for the head's up.

Cheers, guys!

well this forum will paint sort of a bleak picture to newbies but everyone is just trying to beat reality into first timers :eek: ... every week someone is heading here since they read some article on international living or some retirement site. Most of what you read is not accurate old prices old data or flat out lies.
I have told this story before but i wrote a journalist once about his total inaccurate article on Panama... he confessed he had never even been there. He was just writing retirement articles from the east coast.... so beware of what you read... this forum is very useful to give you the truth!

Prices are as others said can be equal to the USA.... but somethings are still not so bad.... if you have dollars you can still do fine here...If you can work from here and make dollars with the book deals.... you will fine ...Spanish is needed... My Spanish still sucks and i suffer for it.... you dont need it if you are here a week... but if you live here... yes you do!! Also the Spanish you are learning may not help you much.... Castellano is sort of weird at first to your ear a mix of spanish with a italian pronunciation so dont be shocked when you dont understand anyone here!........

Maybe you should rent a room instead of a 650 dollar apartment for a few months from a local and check out the place as others have said you can rent a spare room sites exist spareroomsba and others for 2500-2700 pesos a month from a local in palermo that is about 250-300 dollars with the blue rate.. just to see.. and work on your spanish...

If your goal is just to check out a new place-- experience something new...throw yourself in for a wild ride.. Dont be afraid to come down but be prepared to spend more than you thought and be prepared to adapt and expect for many things to not make much sense down here.

Argentina can be a fun exciting place even with its problems. If you are able to travel ..see the world.. how can that ever be a bad thing....Good luck..hope to have a beer with you sometime.. and everyone else in this forum!! well that is my 2 cents.......Cheers

well this forum will paint sort of a bleak picture to newbies but everyone is just trying to beat reality into first timers :eek: ... every week someone is heading here since they read some article on international living or some retirement site. Most of what you read is not accurate old prices old data or flat out lies.
I have told this story before but i wrote a journalist once about his total inaccurate article on Panama... he confessed he had never even been there. He was just writing retirement articles from the east coast.... so beware of what you read... this forum is very useful to give you the truth!

Prices are as others said can be equal to the USA.... but somethings are still not so bad.... if you have dollars you can still do fine here...If you can work from here and make dollars with the book deals.... you will fine ...Spanish is needed... My Spanish still sucks and i suffer for it.... you dont need it if you are here a week... but if you live here... yes you do!! Also the Spanish you are learning may not help you much.... Castellano is sort of weird at first to your ear a mix of spanish with a italian pronunciation so dont be shocked when you dont understand anyone here!........

Maybe you should rent a room instead of a 650 dollar apartment for a few months from a local and check out the place as others have said you can rent a spare room sites exist spareroomsba and others for 2500-2700 pesos a month from a local in palermo that is about 250-300 dollars with the blue rate.. just to see.. and work on your spanish...

If your goal is just to check out a new place-- experience something new...throw yourself in for a wild ride.. Dont be afraid to come down but be prepared to spend more than you thought and be prepared to adapt and expect for many things to not make much sense down here.

Argentina can be a fun exciting place even with its problems. If you are able to travel ..see the world.. how can that ever be a bad thing....Good luck..hope to have a beer with you sometime.. and everyone else in this forum!! well that is my 2 cents.......Cheers

Im not looking for a discussion but, the same prices than in the US? I know a lot of people here that make 7000/8000 pesos and live very well (without rent). Do you think you can live as well as here with 700-800 dollars? I dont think so.

Back