Newbie Saying Hello And Asking For Advice

robbrown

Registered
Hi, all,

I arrived in Buenos Aires this morning having travelled from the UK for a sabbatical-type holiday. I'm planning to stay for just over five months and I've a pretty full and generic itinerary in my head when it comes to filling that time: learning Spanish, journeying to Patagonia and Iguazú, etc etc.

However, on my first day it's dawned on me that I've made a rookie error that could curtail that stay significantly. In fact, it could see me on a plane home pretty damn soon, relatively speaking. I'm wondering whether it's too late to rectify my mistake and hopefully you guys will be able to say what my chances are.

My mistake was pretty simple: to arrive in Argentina with only enough USD to pay for the deposit and first month's rent on my accommodation. Having now handed that over, I am now reliant on a Caxton FX global currency card, loaded with GBP, to cover my funds for the rest of the stay.

I read a lot about the blue chip rate before coming here and asked a couple of friends who had previously visited whether it was worth arriving carrying USD in bulk. They advised me to stick to legal methods and use a card and I followed their recommendation. Having now withdrawn a couple hundred pesos and bought my first week's groceries, I've realised I'm already down just over GBP12/ARS110 due to the Caxton exchange rate. I figure losing that much every day is going to be pretty devastating to the prospects of a lengthy stay.

Is there any way I can get around this (admittedly moronic) mistake or is it time to re-budget?

Muchas gracias in advance.

I did the same thing, more or less, my first trip to BA... crazy, isn't it? The exchange rate is low, the bank fees are high, there are limits to what you can take out of the ATMs...

I would go to Uruguay (Colonia or Montevideo) and take USD out of the ATMs there, and then exchange them for the blue rate on Florida. It's a nice trip, you can do a bit of sight-seeing plus pick up some money. And it's cheaper.

Maybe one of the Brits on the forum can help you explain Xoom-type transfers, if they exist for UK residents. I don't know.

But good luck! Don't worry, all is not lost.

huge mistake... you could try azimo or exchange4free.... Your friends gave you bad advice

They should create a permanent file with advise for newcomers....?? Why repeat over and over the same answers . Each week 2 or more newbies ask the same questions...?

Nothing Personal

It would go something like

1. Bring dollars

2. Bring dollars

3. Learn spanish

4. Learn to love steak, red wine and dulce de leche

5. Forget pizza

and so on...

Azimo has free transfers from the UK through 31 October. Current rate is £14.44 to ARS $1.

You could look at it a different way too... It would have been far more expensive to have stayed at home. BA is far cheaper - so quit your howling. You do have some choices though for the transfer of monies to yourself at rates better than the local rates. You need to look into them too if you are able to wire transfer. I could elaborate but then perhaps they do not pertain to you too. Enjoy your life.. Five months is not long at all. So spend your pounds keep the economy moving. Should you return again then you will use your new found experiences. this website offers far more advice than anything comparable for living elsewhere. It is an education in itself. No diplomas! All the best to you.. enjoy your experience here. It is still is less expensive than your home base for sure. Don't you agree?

Hi, all,

I arrived in Buenos Aires this morning having travelled from the UK for a sabbatical-type holiday. I'm planning to stay for just over five months and I've a pretty full and generic itinerary in my head when it comes to filling that time: learning Spanish, journeying to Patagonia and Iguazú, etc etc.

However, on my first day it's dawned on me that I've made a rookie error that could curtail that stay significantly. In fact, it could see me on a plane home pretty damn soon, relatively speaking. I'm wondering whether it's too late to rectify my mistake and hopefully you guys will be able to say what my chances are.

My mistake was pretty simple: to arrive in Argentina with only enough USD to pay for the deposit and first month's rent on my accommodation. Having now handed that over, I am now reliant on a Caxton FX global currency card, loaded with GBP, to cover my funds for the rest of the stay.

I read a lot about the blue chip rate before coming here and asked a couple of friends who had previously visited whether it was worth arriving carrying USD in bulk. They advised me to stick to legal methods and use a card and I followed their recommendation. Having now withdrawn a couple hundred pesos and bought my first week's groceries, I've realised I'm already down just over GBP12/ARS110 due to the Caxton exchange rate. I figure losing that much every day is going to be pretty devastating to the prospects of a lengthy stay.

Is there any way I can get around this (admittedly moronic) mistake or is it time to re-budget?

Muchas gracias in advance.

Hey Rob!

Me and my Lloyds account would be more than happy to exchange pesos for pounds! Going to Uruguay just to make a transfer is becoming a bit of a pain...

Take a trip to Uruguay. You can take USD out of cash machines, and I believe you can have USD wired to you there.

Montevideo is a great city to spend a couple of days in, and Colonia is charming day trip.

Cant advise you as to Euros but there are literally thousands of black market financial exchange houses that will usually almost double what the official exchange rate will get you. Just make sure that it is in an open public area. The local law enforcement really wont bat an eye to these activities.
Good luck!

Back