Newcomer And Some Questions About Renting

Beps

Registered
Hi,

My name is Vera.

I will be coming to Argentina to study at the end of February.

However, I am having trouble with finding an apartment.

I will be staying in Tigre as this is my only option and also because I have friends there.

My problem is finding a guarantee or a way to rent an apartment there without one. I have been told vacay rentals are a good idea and I am open to the idea however I prefer renting an apartment because I plan to stay minimum 2 years.

That's all for now, I look forward to talking to you all.

If you can find someone with property that is willing to sign to be responsible for your rent (if you don't pay but continue to occupy the space), or damages that aren't paid after you leave, etc, the renting itself is easy (though can be expensive). Many real estate places are now taking 2 months fees for finding a place for you and most 2 year rentals are not furnished, which means you'll have to furnish it if it isn't.

It's possible that you could find someone who would accept X number of month's rent in lieu of a guarantee. The first non-temporary (or non-vacation) rental I had (after my first year here) was taking over the lease from an expat who returned to his country in the middle of his two year lease. The owner required him to pay his entire 24 months in advance because he didn't have a guarantee. I paid the expat by wire in the States

If you can find someone to accept money in lieu of guarantee (and there are some who will do so), might be more likely 6-12 months of rent in advance as deposit.

It took me roughly two years living here before I had enough contacts to find a guarantee. They don't come easily because they come with a lot of potential liability.

I don't know rentals in Tigre. May be they are more open to the possibility of no guarantee than they are in Cap Fed. Also, you might be able to find a temporary rental that you can turn into a long term stay, i.e., not having to move every few months. There are quite a few owners nowadays here in Cap Fed that are starting to rent for one or two years to people without guarantees, by making the contracts expire every 6 months.

Temporary rentals are more expensive than long term in terms of the rental price, but you don't have to worry about regular maintenance, paying all the bills (including ABL, expenses, etc) and you don't have to furnish them.

Thank you very much @ElQueso. That was very useful. I have been looking at appartments on zonaprop and I see it is all realestate companies. Do you think that they would be fine renting to me without a guarantee if I pay for 6 months to a year? Or are they more strict when it comes to such thing?

I have found 2 different vacay rentals the only problem is they can only let me in March and the other one April, which is to late for me.

The problem is not the real estate companies, but rather the owners. What you would need to do is contact the real estate company and tell them your situation. The problem with that then becomes that if you tell them before you even go look at a property, they may not want to talk to you any more because they may consider it a waste of time.

Your best bet in a situation like you have is to find an apartment to look at, make the appointment with the real estate agent, and while you're looking things over, if you're happy with the place, then mention your issue. They will almost certainly at least ask the owner unless they have been given explicit instructions by the owner not to even talk to anyone without a guarantee (never happened to me yet).

However, your biggest problem is that you won't be able to get anything done along these lines unless you are actually here in person. Vacation rentals are a different deal, but I don't think anyone will give you much help while you're home, preparing to leave.

BTW - another site you might look at is soloduenos.com.ar. Although there are some real estate companies that advertise there, there are a lot of real owners that do as well. You might even have more luck talking long distance directly with an owner, though I doubt it. I don't know how many properties might be for rent on that site in Tigre, but it's worth a shot.

What about talking to your friends in Tigre already, it's not a common place for expats to live, they should be able to help facilitate your renting or look for you before you arrive.

@ElQueso, I am thinking my best bet is ti find a good vacation rental and from there to just start looking at apartments. I'm sure at least one of them will be fine with some sort of alternative to a typical guarantee. I did see 2 apartments on that website that seem good, so thank you very much for the link and thanks again for the reply, it was very helpful.

@BaltRochGirl, Yes I did get a friend of mine to go look at an appartment for me and that one is perfect, although at the time I didn't know exactly how guarantees work in Argentina. I am however contacting the company now to see if we can make some sort of arangment.

You can always check out airbnb buenos aires.

https://www.airbnb.c...?ss_id=c1wweeuh

You can rent entire apt. or just a room. Might be a good place to start until you get settled.

Also we have Google Earth here so you can check out the area from your own PC.

https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

@ElQueso, I am thinking my best bet is ti find a good vacation rental and from there to just start looking at apartments. I'm sure at least one of them will be fine with some sort of alternative to a typical guarantee. I did see 2 apartments on that website that seem good, so thank you very much for the link and thanks again for the reply, it was very helpful.

@BaltRochGirl, Yes I did get a friend of mine to go look at an appartment for me and that one is perfect, although at the time I didn't know exactly how guarantees work in Argentina. I am however contacting the company now to see if we can make some sort of arangment.
@ is not required as this is a forum not a twit

Yesterday I was walking in Recoleta and walked by the window of a real estate agency with signs "rent for foreigners, we speak English". I cannot remember where exactly it was, though, and not sure what their offer would be for foreigners.

Back