Newcomer Q's

mattiek

Registered
Hi!

I'm a 23 y.o recent college graduate. Grew up in Texas, went to UC Berkeley. Decided to move here and get paid 60% less than all of my peers. (But really, the food here is worth it!!)

I currently live with my partner (Argentinian citizen) in La Lomada, but for various reasons including a new job, I'm thinking of relocating to Palermo (alone). I've found a few solid temporary rentals around $15000 pesos, but longer-term rentals seem to be nicer for a comparable price.

Can someone explain the garantía process? I'll have a work visa soon - does this change anything in terms of longer-term rentals? Or should I stick with a temporary rental?

Also general questions:
Does anyone have experience with student loans and working for a B.A salary?
Is it possible to live moderately comfortably on a gross income of $45000 pesos?

And uh, a bit personal, but if anyone has advice on how they meshed cultural and familial ideas with their Argentine partner (like boundaries with parents), I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Thanks!

Best,
M

Hi!

Is it possible to live moderately comfortably on a gross income of $45000 pesos?

M

That would translate into less than $1000 USD so my answer would be no. BA is pretty pricey right now for just about everything. Even out here in the provinces, I could not live well on that.

45000 is Ok ( for yr age) , if your partner is bringing a equal number as well and you have no kids.

Further, Argentine in laws are usually super nice and will treat you like a son. There is no need to panic if they show you affection.

45000 is Ok ( for yr age) , if your partner is bringing a equal number as well and you have no kids.

Further, Argentine in laws are usually super nice and will treat you like a son. There is no need to panic if they show you affection.

The poster wrote.....
I'm thinking of relocating to Palermo (alone).
....if anyone has advice on how they meshed cultural and familial ideas with their Argentine partner (like boundaries with parents),

By boundaries with parents, I don't think the poster meant shows of affection.

As a local married to an American for over 15 years, having traveled to the US a bunch of times not as a tourist, I believe you must have been in shock. Families are different. At 23 you are still considered and treated like a teenager here. Most people in their early and late 20's still live with their parents. Mostly because it is easier, and also cheaper. If you were living your girlfriend's parents, I guess they were treating you ( and her ) just like most families do: and that is ask you where you are going, when you are coming back, expecting you to share each and every meal with them and having " sobremesa" ie sitting there and just chatting ( every day ). It might be a good idea to try to explain, how independent a 23 yo is back in the US and how families interact on a day to day basis. In Argentina, expect to have a " mini Thanksgiving" every Sunday ( over beef or pasta of course ) for long hours. We could try to give you better advice if you share some more information. Don't freak out :D

With two people at 45000 it would be possible. But the OP said Palermo alone which is why I do not think it is not possible at 45000 a month. Palermo on 900 a month would be a very tight budget. Just my opinion.

As a local married to an American for over 15 years, having traveled to the US a bunch of times not as a tourist, I believe you must have been in shock. Families are different. At 23 you are still considered and treated like a teenager here. Most people in their early and late 20's still live with their parents. Mostly because it is easier, and also cheaper. If you were living your girlfriend's parents, I guess they were treating you ( and her ) just like most families do: and that is ask you where you are going, when you are coming back, expecting you to share each and every meal with them and having " sobremesa" ie sitting there and just chatting ( every day ). It might be a good idea to try to explain, how independent a 23 yo is back in the US and how families interact on a day to day basis. In Argentina, expect to have a " mini Thanksgiving" every Sunday ( over beef or pasta of course ) for long hours. We could try to give you better advice if you share some more information. Don't freak out :D

This is all very true.

My wife and I are older than that and my mother in law is almost 76 we have an apartment off the back of her house. We are expected to share every meal together lunch and dinner. But my mother in law considers me as a son. She has many names for me all affectionate. We live here because my wife's father passed and my mother in law was alone. She can get along but needs some help that is for sure.

But even with our age, we are still like teenagers in her thinking we are her kids. But this expands out into my wife's entire family, aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews etc. I am treated me just like family.

Interesting that in the year she was alone she was robbed 3 times, had problems with blood pressure and some panic attacks. Since we have been here all of that has stopped. The thieves were getting her when she was going out to pay the bills. I do that now. I hate Rapipago it is definitely not rapid at all. LOL Hurry up and wait!

I will never forget my mother in law crying when we came back from Uruguay it was easy to see she was very happy and relieved. But with us here she is not alone and her life is her normal routine again. Get up have a mate, do the laundry and cook lunch then off to siesta. Gets up at 4 PM has another mate and takes care of things around her house. Then usually we cook dinner together.

But it is all good. One thing for sure that woman can cook like a God. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with student loans and working for a B.A salary?

When you file your US federal tax return you will report your foreign earned income (yearly amount, converted to USD). This income is self reported and no documents equivalent to W2 need to be attached. Up to 100+K/year (check to see what it is for this year, it may be $102,100) can be excluded as foreign earned income credit. If you are making less than the foreign earned income exclusion amount then you owe nothing on your federal return (and on your tax form your income will actually show as a negative number or a zero). This is important because you will need to apply through your educational loan lender for an income based repayment plan (done online), using the information from your federal return. It makes your life easier if your loans are all from the same lender and/or consolidated. Your monthly educational loan repayment amount is determined based on the income reported on your federal return. So, given the info above, if your income is zero (or a negative number), then your repayment amount will also be zero. And you just repeat the process every year. Good luck!

With a NET income of $45000 pesos you must plan to pay $15,000 in rent and must add , electrical , gas, water, and Cable plus internet that takes you to about $20,000. Mobile plus transport add $1000 minimum. Plus ·200 pesos per day for food for 2 brings you total to $27.000 . Some medical toiletries and pharmacy brings yo to $30,000. You are left with 500 pesos a day for al incidental expenses ... dinning out once a week takes care of $4000 pesos . clothing, Little left for fun....

Back