newcomer

I actually consider myself a Californian for the same reason, it defines me better. But I agree, American is a term that can be used by all North, Central and South Americans.

North Americans from the US have taken over that name and declared it their own, but that doesn't mean much to the South Americans who feel the same way. And in reality, they have much more historical claim to it. Because before their was a USA, there was the Americas and all those living in the Americas were, wait for it........... Americans.

At the same time there has been very little unity in Latin America up until about 10 years ago. So Latin Americans themselves spent a good deal of time trying to set themselves apart from other Latin Americans and being nationalistic and calling themselves ( Argentine, Paraguayan Peruvian Uruguayan etc ) was part of that.

This is slowly changing. Nationalism only brings division in my opinion. They are all Latin Americans and the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. One day the future generations will really understand that.

Lucas said:
Same apply on this side of the continent, we are all Americans, you see the continent name is America (no USA or EE.UU) since Cristobal Colon discover it in 1492, from Tierra del Fuego at the top, to Alaska at the bottom all this earth mass is called AMERICA, and you can separate it by different regions if you wish South America, Central America, North America and the Caribbean, but all in all is the American Continent....and people who born, live and die on it are Americans.

Well if you're going to get all technical......Cristobal Colon did not "discover" the Americas since gasp there were already people who had been living there for centuries.

I'm just saying.

LAtoBA said:
Well if you're going to get all technical......Cristobal Colon did not "discover" the Americas since gasp there were already people who had been living there for centuries.

I'm just saying.

Well, he really discover America to the rest of the 'civilized' world so the 'estadounidenses' imported from the British islands and then from every other parts of the world can call themselves Americans....but then the Spanish, the French and Portuguese were in the same boat (continent) why they can't call themselves Americans too?....If an Argentine present himself and said I'm an American...is viewed almost ridicule and obscene to others who didn't born in the continent.

Lucas said:
Well, he discovered America so the 'estadounidenses' imported from the British islands and then from every other parts of the world can call themselves Americans....but then the Spanish, the French and Portuguese were in the same boat (continent) why they can't call themselves Americans too?....If an Argentine present himself and say I'm an American...seems almost ridicule and obscene to others not born in the continent.

My comment completely went over your head.....never mind. :rolleyes:

AlexfromLA said:
They are all Latin Americans and the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. One day the future generations will really understand that.

Wrong they are all Americans, that term (Latin Americans) was invented, guess by who? the 'Americans' to differentiate themselves with the rest of the continent, a nice political way of discrimination and apartheid.

Lucas said:
Wrong they are all Americans, that term (Latin Americans) was invented, guess by who? the 'Americans' to differentiate themselves with the rest of the continent, a nice political way of discrimination and apartheid.

Using the term Latin America and Latin Americans was not started by the United States, but by France upon their invasion of Mexico.

No one here is saying that Argentines, Paraguayans, Ecuadorians, Chileans, Uruguayans, Brazilians, Columbians, Mexicans, Guatemalans, Costa Ricans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Dominicans, Cubans, Venezuelans, Guyanas, Trinidadians, etc. cannot call themselves Americans. They can do that in Spanish and linguistically, culturally, geographically, and politically that is correct. But in English linguistically American has been used historically for people from the United States of America.

You know what, I dont even know why I am arguing this, it is clear that Lucas is not going to change his opinion...

Lol,

I don't see it that way, but imma let you tell it. Regardless, any country south of the Rio Grande is considered Latin America.

Lucas said:

Since we're beating a dying horse (sorry Mary, but welcome to the forum!)...

All languages have peculiarities since most languages (aside from Klingon and Esperanto) are not planned or designed. As a woman I find it insulting that the Spanish word for handcuffs is esposas, or "wives." It is degrading that a word with a notably female connotation is the same as a word that means a cold metal device used to lock up criminals and deviants, or at the very least, used in kinky sex games. It is obvious that the male dominated Spanish society of yore specifically chose this word in order to subjugate their female partners and evermore tie them, at least linguistically, to the lowest rung of society.*

In today's enlightened and balanced society it is a terrible oversight that the Spanish language continues to use a word that demeans half of the world's population. I demand that it be changed! Now! I'm waiting...

*I made that up.

AlexfromLA said:
Lol,

I don't see it that way, but imma let you tell it. Regardless, any country south of the Rio Grande is considered Latin America.

Do you see what I mean?......I rest my case

lucas, its okay we are not trying to offend you. It's been explained the reason we use American is
A. We don't have a word equivalent to estadounidense and lets face it united staters sounds bad.
B. American by definition can mean someone from the Americas or a person from the United States.
C. We use it because our nation's named United States of America. The word America is in the name of our country. That is all.

It was totally only a lingual confusion that offended some people but we were never trying to offend anyone by calling ourselves American and we were not trying to imply anyone else was less American. In fact I don't even know who started that argument but let's not get offended by a misinterpretation of language.

I certainly didn't come to Argentina to be an imperialist. I came here because I love and respect the cultures of all the Americas. Peace :) okay?

Back