Nice forum - but why do you beat each other up?

My comment is stop being dorx and learn to play nice in the sandbox as Mrs. Bucola my kindergarten teacher used to say. Let's try and learn from each other and not break each other down!

A Slag: (noun) a woman (normally female but not always ) of poor morals.

To Slag (verb) to insult or defame.

Now we have that clear you can call me a slag or slag me off, but to have a slag you must go down to Independencia at night.:D

This place gets too boring when we are all nice to each other.

Davidglen77 said:
My comment is stop being dorx and learn to play nice in the sandbox as Mrs. Bucola my kindergarten teacher used to say. Let's try and learn from each other and not break each other down!

Not as long as phony expats claiming to be here when they are not are trolling for victims of their scams as well as wannabe gurus who hate living here offer pseudo psychological advice and try to sell property at an exorbitant price while extolling the exaggerated virtues of a marginal neighborhood (certainly as far as expat living is concerned).

Somebody's gotta call bullshit when it's called for.

It might as well be me.:D

Besides, I don't want to play in your sandbox, especially if you have cats.

citygirl said:
I don't know Tangobob - I might give you a run for your money. I've been called a clueless liberal, a raging conservative, spoiled, stupid, ignorant, told I was exploiting the local workforce.. hmmm, I'm sure I'm forgetting some!

To the OP - I highly suggest you utilize the 'ignore' button if you stick around. It saves a lot of time and energy :) Now that I have certain people on ignore, the forum is a much more enjoyable place. And as someone pointed out, there is only a very small minority that goes overboard.

Ignore is so nice! :D
But I'd really like an ignore thread. Sometimes it's not the people but the topic the gets people riled up. I know sadly I've been dragged down the abyss.

Having been an expat in several types of countries, I can say definitely that what links expats of all types, from all countires, in all places, is to embrace complaining like sex.

...except they usually engage in more complaining than sex. :)

¡Saludos a todos, amigos!

I'm a repat, and new to forums. When I started posting here I was taken aback by the hostility of some responses. One one occasion I apologized for being wrong, and my apology was ridiculed by someone apparently unused to honesty. I’m sorry to admit that after that incident I allowed myself to respond in kind. Now I know better, and just ignore angry posters.

My only other forum experience has been with one in Uruguay, a much smaller forum which gradually mutated into a sort of extended family. It is a friendly place where people can ask the dumbest questions without fear of ridicule, and be sure of getting help, be it with electric generators or difficult bureaucrats.

When I posted a story about my daughter's pack being stolen in BA, five perfect strangers offered to bring replacements from the US. They brought me binoculars, night-vision goggles, an IPod, and a camera - paid for them, too. When they arrived in Uruguay they stayed with me in Colonia, and we became friends.

I posted about missing Marmite, and three members who travel regularly to the US now keep me supplied with it. In turn, I keep them supplied with Argentine wine. My home was burglarized, and a forum neighbor offered to come stay for a while, if I was afraid of being alone.

We grew used to helping each other out. US members relocating to Uruguay offered free space in their containers, and brought many things for other members. I, in turn, smuggled things people can’t find in Uruguay, like good coffee, spices, and small electronics - even a folding attic ladder for someone building a house.

I thought this forum would be like that, but it is different - more contentious. Still, it is interesting.

steveinbsas said:
Were you dragged down or did you dive in (like me)?

I tried to resists as much as possible, then I jumped.... But I tried not to. That is why and "ignore thread" option would be good, no more temptation! ;)

Back