Nice people in BsAs

RWS said:
This, at least, is easily remedied: simply carry your wallet in an inside, buttoned pocket of your suitcoat or odd jacket. Of course, if you're not a man . . . .

I do carry my wallet and everything in my front pockets, but that doesn't stop them from "testing" the back pocket. It's only happened a couple of times though. But it takes a lot of restraint to do nothing more than spin around and glare at them. :D

Lix,

“I hardly spewed invective about my own country or about New York City specifically”.

I didn’t mean to suggest that you were so aggressive in your comments; I just didn’t think it fair or appropriate to frame a positive comment about BA with a negative one about New York and New Yorkers.

The readers of this website have different opinions about Porteños – most seem to think very highly of the people here and many have nothing but criticism for the United States and its people.

My opinion and experience – over many years in this country – may be different from that of others. I have found some very nice people and others that I have not liked at all. I can not say that Porteños are more friendly than Americans or Britons (I don’t know the other places you have lived in) because it has not been my experience. Kissing and effusive displays of emotion do not necessarily equal real warmth or friendliness, from my point of view.

I do want to clarify that the level of interaction I'm discussing is with strangers. And, I want to stress that I have met with warmth and kindness in every country in which I've lived. I just think that a unique characteristic of Argentine culture is their unusually large capacity for openness and warmth with strangers and foreigners, even in a very large city.

Not everyone here reads that blog. Anyway, I am glad that she had a good experience.

I'm from NYC, live here now long-term and hands-down think NY is a lot more friendly and people are a lot more willing to go out of their way to help there than here.

However, kudos to the kindness of people wherever it happens in the world.

Back