No flights from BA to Bariloche in early Dec??

kroberts03

Registered
Hola! I was planning to go to Bariloche in the beginning of December for holiday for a few days, specifically Dec 7th or 8th through Dec 11th. I am unable to find any flights from Buenos Aires to Bariloche at this time or even before in the months of November. I keep trying to find some sort of news or reasons why, but I cannot find anything. Does anybody know why there are no flights appearing??

The Bariloche airport is still hit and miss service due to the volcanic ash coming over from Chile. I'm not even sure that they've been able to open for more than the occasional flight. And with another volcano erupting in Chile right now (though I wasn't able to see on the news last night exactly where in Chile it is located), don't expect things to improve.

If you want to go, you'd be better off going in bus. Be aware though that the landscape you see will be nothing like what is in the usual tourist pictures -- the lake was unfortunately covered in ash and I think it will be some time before it returns to it's normal color -- there is a woman on here that lives in the area, Nicole_Ramirez I think is her handle -- if you contact her she may be able to give more up to date info as to what is going on down there.

suerte!

After being closed for the volcano for several months. They re-opened briefly. They are now closed for remodeling or repairs instead of doing it while the airport was sitting there closed. Bunch of morons run this city I tell ya.

Thanks so much for the information!! It is really helpful. I guess I will begin planning a trip to somewhere else until the airport is open again & the landscape is back to it´s natural beauty. Thanks again!

You could fly to Neuquen and take a bus from Neuquen to Bariloche. I have heard from coworkers who visited last week that while it is still possible to get a sense of its natural beauty, the area has been hit very hard by the ash, especially surrounding areas like Villa la Angostura, which is still having to get its drinking water from trucks that drive in with a fresh supply every few days.

I ran into the same issue and I am flying to Neuquen and bussing to Bariloche

I could link to so many different reports in the last week or so, some saying it will open other saying it won't.

I think the decision of Aerolineas not to fly to Bariloche until the end of Feb (if that report is in fact correct and the airport work isn't going to take 3 months more) is to stop the disruption of flights and have some sort order...so if you want to fly to Bariloche you have to fly via Neuquen or Esquel than take the bus transfer.

The reality is that regular flights won't land in Bariloche until the volcano stops erupting (the spewing out of fine smoke and fine volcanic ash), even though we have good days when there is no ash in the air, the airline don't want to risk cancellations and loosing lots of money so offer a more reliable service to an alternative airport.

Those that have a limited amount of time like one or two days to spend in Bariloche should reconsider flying and taking the overnight bus for a 99% chance or arriving on time; those with more time just need to allow a day or so at the end of your intended stay in Bariloche to allow for cancellations or delays. It's very simple if you plan your trip and don't try and take a flight from Bariloche to Buenos Aires the morning of an international flight out of Argentina....

The overnight buses to Bariloche can be very comfortable and the Tutto Letto service with ViaBariloche even has WiFi.

View from my balcony on the 12th December 2011
pan1.jpg

link to full size image

Back