no gas, no hot water for 71 yr. old woman in BA, I would like to help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the brink-- thanks so much, that seems like a reasonable price. I know there has been high inflation in Arg., but I think prices are still well below US. The maintenance man I think she said had an electricians license, so that should preclude any extra 'inspection', correct? She also mentioned that there was gas inspection that had to be done, which I can't understand at all. She speaks very little English, so this is through WhatsApp and Google translate, so communication suffers. Is there a company there that you know of that I could get a quote from to install?

When there's a gas leak, service to the whole building is cut-off until it is found and repaired. Once it is done, there must be an official inspection to certify the installation as safe.

I don't use a company, just reliable plumbers and electricians. Can ask mine, if you wish. Where is the building located? Good technicians are picky about the areas they cover.

Last edited:
If this unit is located in a building in C.A.B.A. and it also has another units (which is usually called Propiedad Horizontal) also referred as Consorcio, therefore, they need to go by the bylaws of the building called Reglamento de CoPropiedad which usually means that every owner has the obligation to pay their share of the total expenses of the building according their participation in the total expenses of the building. For example, if the building has a total of 8 units of the same size, each unit might pay a 12.50% of the total expenses of the building per month.

The cost of changing the whole gas system in a building is considerably high.

Questions are: do the rest of the owners of the other units had their gas reconnected? Did her manager organize Asambleas to discuss the options? did the owner of this specific unit attend?

Last edited:
I'm not sure the location, I'll have to ask if I can.. she is pretty upset as she told her mom I would help and it was going to be installed. I am fighting that ridiculous price though. And she cannot get an itemized estimate which is what I want. For an electric HW heater, the gas utilities should have nothing to do with it, right? She doesn't even have gas to the apt. to inspect! Is there a gov't or building management inspection that has to be done typically?

Realto, I just sent you a PM

But there is no NO INSPECTION required to install electric heaters or stoves. If anyone says there is, it is just not true. No government certificates or experts of any kind are involved.

Carmen, thanks for reply. That seems to be pretty much what she was saying to me,(translated through Google). She would have to pay a share of the cost... she showed me pictures of the torn up gas lines outside apt. when she was there last November. Then they cut the gas to her apt. and she would have to pay to have the lines in her apt. fixed. She bought the apt., so not a rental. I'm not sure if all the units have gas disconnected still. She said when she was there back in Nov. the apartment manager did talk to her and showed her the options. I don't know if there was organized asemblias with other owners..

I've been without heating and cooking gas three times already in past years. Twice in differnt buildings in Caballito and once in Recoleta.
Live and learn.

For the bathroom, there are small 5+ liter heaters that hang under the shower pipe and heat the water. Installing and wiring is simple and can be properly done in a few hours.

For cooking, you can buy an electric anafe at any hardware store.

Heating water is also simple with the right appliance. Better buy two units.
A bucket or two are good investments also.

It takes a little planning and the right handyman. It's also quite cheap, all things considered.

For the permanent fix it can and will take months. The gas company is liable and responsible for the service up to the front door of the building but will not reestablish the service until ALL units are compliant and have been certified by a third party and inspected by the company.
It takes a lot of time to get the ducks in a row and it's better to get the certification from a single guy who then presents the building and units compliancy in a single document.
Usually they charge an arm and a leg.

Iz

Last edited:
Carmen, thanks for reply. That seems to be pretty much what she was saying to me,(translated through Google). She would have to pay a share of the cost... she showed me pictures of the torn up gas lines outside apt. when she was there last November. Then they cut the gas to her apt. and she would have to pay to have the lines in her apt. fixed. She bought the apt., so not a rental. I'm not sure if all the units have gas disconnected still. She said when she was there back in Nov. the apartment manager did talk to her and showed her the options. I don't know if there was organized asemblias with other owners..

Ok, so this is a complete different scenario now.

Legal details cannot be overlooked. First of all, the owner cannot miss the monthly payment of building maintenance expenses. According the bylaws, generally after 3 months, the debt goes to legal department which is a painful.

Ok, so this is a complete different scenario now.

Legal details can't be overlooked. First of all, the owner cannot miss the monthly payment of building maintenance expenses. According the bylaws, generally after 3 months, the debt goes to legal department which is a painful.

Generally speaking, it is crucial to contribute with the payments that the Consorcio agreed (usually in an Asamblea) to pay in order to fix the gas system so Metrogas can restore the supply. The owner has to pay her share. No way out (always taking the bylaws of the building into account).

Of course to change pipes the gas licenced plumber will have to break into some walls and some tyles will have to be changed, etc, but the cost of this job will be covered among all the owners, everybody according there percentage rate (as it is in the bylaws and it is informed in the monhly building expenses "liquidación de expensas".

We say "me voy a mi casa" but truth is, a unit it's not a house, it's a unit, a part in a condominium, so individual solutions may not apply and end up in much more complicated issues.

You need the whole picture. However, she could be able to buy all the electrical appliances she wants but first she needs to make sure what is the real condition of the electric system as you do not want to cause a fire and yet she cannot escape from the common expenses.

Besides, most of the buildings are not ready for a switch of systems just like that. Believe me. I also work as a property manager and building manager and people tend to deny reality big time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back