no gas, no hot water for 71 yr. old woman in BA, I would like to help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I was thinking, couple the water inlet/outlet from elec. WH, into the fittings going into the existing gas wall heater. With flexible metal hose from elec WH. No pipes or going into walls to plumb pipes. As far as plug in to gas unit, that's just small amperage for the control board, display, etc. The load from an elec. water heater would be too much for it. But that would just mean outside the wall wiring an an added circuit breaker. That cant be cost at all.
Check the fuse box and see how many amps are provided to that circuit. I doubt the gauge of the wire varies at all through the apartment. The breaker amperage may just need to be changed. Observe the wire Guage, wattage, and distance to double check the capacity... I can't imagine AR construction being too complicated.

Check the fuse box and see how many amps are provided to that circuit. I doubt the gauge of the wire varies at all through the apartment. The breaker amperage may just need to be changed. Observe the wire Guage, wattage, and distance to double check the capacity... I can't imagine AR construction being too complicated.

hi, I wish l could do that, but Im not in BA. And cant get any info on it to help. Even if they had to heavy up on wire or just add a breaker, it doesnt seem like it would be that expensive.

Hello. She is not making the price, just let me know. She has mentioned the gas problem since November. First they cut the gas to the entire 4 story apt. building, then found a possible problem in her apt. They would have to tear up the kitchen which she had renovated, and she can't afford that. So this is the alternative, and that's what they quoted her. I don't know how to find the itemized cost, or if it can be negotiated. Apparently cutting gas to apts. is common in BA, but I can't get any more in depth info from the installers, even through her.

The problem with owners of apartmens in Buenos Aires city is that they do not even care to read the bylaws.

Most of the bylaws of the buildings stipulate that the pipes in all their extension are a common part, that is to say that the cost of repair is shared among all the owners according to their share of expenses. If you do not know your rights, for sure people will take advantage. This is even written in the Civil Code. So if the bylaws does not say anything about pipes then the Civil Code stands.

So maybe she is traumatized for something she does not even have to pay for on her own completely.

I have gone thru the drama of being six months without gas in the Building. It was resolved with a visit to a Hardware store on Guemes and julian Alvarez, Ferreteria Alvarez, that sells electric 30 liter water heater tanks to hook-up to the Shower. A 2 place electric countertop stove solve the cooking situation. Some Ferreterias do also the installation or refer a handyman. The total cost very little and is done in a couple of hours.

The problem with owners of apartmens in Buenos Aires city is that they do not even care to read the bylaws.

Most of the bylaws of the buildings stipulate that the pipes in all their extension are a common part, that is to say that the cost of repair is shared among all the owners according to their share of expenses. If you do not know your rights, for sure people will take advantage. This is even written in the Civil Code. So if the bylaws does not say anything about pipes then the Civil Code stands.

So maybe she is traumatized for something she does not even have to pay for on her own completely.
Well, I think she knows about the gas situation and the rules, she kind of explained that too me a while back. I'm not sure if she is libel for a bill, they just turn off the gas into her apt. if she's not willing to have it opened up to find a possible leak Now she just wants to have hot water in the apt., and I guess electric is the cheapest way to do it.

I have gone thru the drama of being six months without gas in the Building. It was resolved with a visit to a Hardware store on Guemes and julian Alvarez, Ferreteria Alvarez, that sells electric 30 liter water heater tanks to hook-up to the Shower. A 2 place electric countertop stove solve the cooking situation. Some Ferreterias do also the installation or refer a handyman. The total cost very little and is done in a couple of hours.

Yes, I've looked at those little tank/showers. Seems to be almost exclusive to Arg..maybe also in other SA countries. That may be a solution for a hot shower anyway.

When I was in central america they had shower heads that you plug into the wall and it heats the water as it comes out of the fixture. Maybe those shower heads exist here?

Just a few thoughts:

1- I understand they do not want the gas company to tear down the newly updated kitchen, bare in mind that if that is the leak that is keeping the rest of the building with no service and she refuses to let them work, they can sue her. She needs to give the gas company access and in turn the cost of repairs should be split among all owners via building fees. She is basically keeping all her neighbors with no gas.

2- 1500 usd is ridiculous, unless it includes the heater, work, materials and and the unit's full rewiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back