No more permanent residency!?....

It does sound implausible; I don't know of another first-world state with geographically restricted permanent residency.

2GuysInPM said:
soulskier, the information I got only states that it affects Rentista and Pensionado/Jubilado temporary visa holders. I'm trying to find the text of this new law to check it, but the Migraciones website still has the same old info and I haven't found anything else online.

I'm not familiar with investment visas, and I did not see any info about that type of visa at the Migraciones website.

Thanks for the update. We originally got our investment visa when we purchased a farm in Mendoza province. It is not done much and has proved to be costly and burdensome, but vale la pena.

I went into the local Bariloche migraciones to check on our renewal status. They were at there usual unhospitiable self, so I didn't bother asking them about any changes to renewals.

Please contact this Lawyer, Gabriel Celano at [email protected]. He knows exactly how to deal with his. I have some friends that hired him and they got their DNIs very quickly.

Just to be clear, this is an issue that concerns individuals who already have their DNI and hope to make thier temporary resident status permanent.

If the rules have indeed changed and "permanent" residency is no longer "automatically" being granted to those with the visa rentista or pensionado on the third renewal, I hope Sr. Celano indeed knows how to deal with it. I have never met him or exchanged any communication with him, but he has made several posts on this forum that were very helpful to a "do-it-yourselfer" like me. I personally know several expats who have used his services and they all have very positive thing to say about him.

I am currently using Gabriel for 2 services. He is very anttentive and really gives you a trustworthy feeling

No replies from Migraciones as of yet...

This is potentially disturbing news as I was hoping to apply for the passport next year. I will pass this post on to Hector Celano (although someone may have already done this) for a reply as he is doing some legal work for us at the moment after a brilliant job getting my DNI. Re previous comments about him, he is outstanding and easily the most efficient individual I have dealt with in Argentina. I'm sure he will be able to get to the bottom of this.

Rhys

I checked with Hector Celano and the situation is as follows:

The Immigration office has currently suspended the changes of status since the new immigration act says nothing about it. For that reason they stopped doing the changes of status and the supervisors and chiefs are waiting for the instructions from the National Director that will be enacted in a decree (decreto reglamentario) where he will explain what will happen with the changes of status.

Nobody knows what the "decreto reglamentario" of the immigration act will
say about the change of status, some rumors are that it will no longer be
possible to go from temporary to permanent.

If this happens, one possible course of action plan to be followed is to contest this "decreto reglamentario" in court, requesting the judge to grant the permanent residency still.

As you can see it is a matter of wait and see at the moment
Rhys

Back