No more permanent residency!?....

Good news...

Just got word from our agent. They say starting this month, 3rd year temporary renewals can once again apply for permanent residency. If you did your 3rd renewal during these blackout months (May - Jul), you may have to wait until your next renewal (the 4th) to apply for permanent status. Thigns may have changed though, like app requirements. No news on that yet.

Thanks for the up to the minute. So between May and July they had a new rule in place. Gotta love the A Factor!

We are going in soon for our pending 2nd renewal with about 18 months of precarios in between renewals, wonder how that will go.

2GuysInPM said:
Good news...

Just got word from our agent. They say starting this month, 3rd year temporary renewals can once again apply for permanent residency. If you did your 3rd renewal during these blackout months (May - Jul), you may have to wait until your next renewal (the 4th) to apply for permanent status. Thigns may have changed though, like app requirements. No news on that yet.

Last I heard, appointments were not required for the annual visa renewals. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

WHY the Hell bother? The rules (and there aren't any in Argentina) change depending on the wind. What is really worth going through all the BS for anyway? Just go away every three months, if only to Colonia. You don't NEED a DNI for anything really.

rmartinbuenosaires said:
WHY the Hell bother? The rules (and there aren't any in Argentina) change depending on the wind. What is really worth going through all the BS for anyway? Just go away every three months, if only to Colonia. You don't NEED a DNI for anything really.

To be an employer, have a better tax basis, open a bank account, fly for a third of the price are all DNI perks as best I understand.

WHY would you want to open a business in a "hostile" business environment?

Why would you want to open a bank account here and have your money "disappear"?

WHY would you support an airline that supports this policy of price gouging in the first place?

Still don't get it.

rmartinbuenosaires said:
WHY would you want to open a business in a "hostile" business environment?

Why would you want to open a bank account here and have your money "disappear"?

WHY would you support an airline that supports this policy of price gouging in the first place?

Still don't get it.

Maybe a better question is, why do you live in Argentina with those kind of negative thoughts?

You may think of it as a negative thought....only reality will tell. I simply believe that the whole process is a complete waste of energy, time and money. Rules change here everyday and you may go through the whole ordeal and STILL not be a resident. I believe the KEY is to avoid dealing with these kinds of situations in Argentina.

rmartinbuenosaires said:
You may think of it as a negative thought....only reality will tell. I simply believe that the whole process is a complete waste of energy, time and money. Rules change here everyday and you may go through the whole ordeal and STILL not be a resident. I believe the KEY is to avoid dealing with these kinds of situations in Argentina.

Having a DNI has made our lives in Argentina a whole lot easier. BTW, I am a resident and have been since 2006, just not permanent yet.

I went to migraciones this morning hoping to be able to apply for permanent residency (with a visa rentista/pensionado) on the third renewal (the start of the fourth year). I arrived at 8:00AM and received turno number 8 at the perrogas de permanencia sector. I was called at 8:30, but was then asked to wait a few more minutes for the agent who "specializes" in permanent residency applications.

My papers were reviewed and I was told to return in a week as they need to retrieve my file before they can proceed. I was told that the (updated) letter from my bank (not a CPA) verifying a "stable" income of $1,000 was acceptable. Of course the letter has the seal of the Apostile and was also translated and legalized. I also presented a recent certificado de penales anticedentes. I was asked if I had photocopies of all pages of my passport and my DNI. I also indicated that I had US and Argentine bank statements as well showing the monthly deposits but I was not asked to show them today. As I have a valid DNI, no new certificado de domicilio was needed, and the woman was almost apologetic when she told me I would need to pay $600 pesos this year as opposed to $200 in previous years. Needless to say, I will be very happy to pay it.

I did not use a lawyer or an agency. When I was not sure I understood something, another agent from a nearby desk explained it to me in English.

Back