No more permanent residency!?....

Re the getting citizenship after two years in country (even if it's with Tourist):

I was at Migraciones today getting out my permanent residency (as spouse of Argentine) so while we were there we asked about Citizenship and the guy said you need 2 years documented in the country on a permanent visa to be eligible to apply.

A tourist visa will not cut it, and even though I have been married for over a year (yes it took that long for us to get around to doing the residency) AND living in the country continuously since then, albeit on a tourist visa, they will not even let me shortcut the path to citizenship by one year, I have to wait 2 years from today to be eligible.

So, sorry to anyone that wants to go before a judge, no permanent residency = no citizenship according to Migraciones. If you want to take it up with a judge, go right ahead, but I think it will be a long long headachy process.

syngirl said:
Re the getting citizenship after two years in country (even if it's with Tourist):

I was at Migraciones today getting out my permanent residency (as spouse of Argentine) so while we were there we asked about Citizenship and the guy said you need 2 years documented in the country on a permanent visa to be eligible to apply.

A tourist visa will not cut it, and even though I have been married for over a year (yes it took that long for us to get around to doing the residency) AND living in the country continuously since then, albeit on a tourist visa, they will not even let me shortcut the path to citizenship by one year, I have to wait 2 years from today to be eligible.

So, sorry to anyone that wants to go before a judge, no permanent residency = no citizenship according to Migraciones. If you want to take it up with a judge, go right ahead, but I think it will be a long long headachy process.

With all my respect, if you want legal advice you should ask a lawyer. The agents who work there have a high school but they are ignorant enough to talk as they know.

The requisites the federal judges in Capital federal ask are:
IMGP0206.jpg

However, this is regarding an abolished law. The requisites according to law and Supreme Court are simplier:

The requisites according to law 346 and its decreto are:
1. being 18 years old.
2. To have been living two years continuously
3. To express your will to a federal judge

You citizenship application might be rejected if you don´t have a legal way of living.

But the 2 years can be shortcut when:
1. You married an Argentinian

So, if you still trust in migration agents, that´s up to you.

Here is the law:

Art. 3° — Los extranjeros designados en el artículo 2° inciso 1° de la Ley N° 346, al tiempo de solicitar su naturalización deberán cumplimentar las siguientes condiciones:
a) tener dieciocho (18) años de edad cumplidos
b) residir en la República dos (2) años continuos
c) manifestar ante los jueces federales su voluntad de serlo.

También podrán obtener la naturalización cualquiera sea el tiempo de su residencia los extranjeros que acrediten las siguientes circunstancias:

a) haber desempeñado con honradez empleos en la Administración Pública Nacional, Provincial o Municipal o en el Territorio Nacional de la Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sud, dentro o fuera de la República.
b) haber servido en las Fuerzas Armadas Argentinas o haber asistido a una acción de guerra en defensa de la Nación.
c) haber establecido en el país una nueva industria, introducido una invención útil o realizado cualquier otra acción, que signifique un adelanto moral o material para la República.
d) hallarse formando parte de las colonias establecidas o que se establecieren en cualquier punto del país.
e) habitar o promover el poblamiento del Territorio Nacional de la Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sud.
f) tener cónyuge o hijo argentino nativo.
g) ejercer la docencia en cualquiera de sus ramas.
Son causas que impedirán el otorgamiento de la ciudadanía argentina por naturalización, las siguientes:
a) no tener ocupación o medios de subsistencia honestos
b) estar procesado en el país, o en el extranjero por delito previsto en la legislación penal argentina, hasta no ser separado de la causa.
c) haber sido condenado por delito doloso, ya fuere en el país o en el extranjero, a pena privativa de libertad mayor de tres (3) años, salvo que la misma hubiere sido cumplida y hubieren transcurrido cinco (5) años desde el vencimiento del término de la pena fijada en la condena o hubiere mediado amnistía.
No podrá negarse la ciudadanía argentina por motivos fundados en razones políticas, ideológicas, gremiales, religiosas o raciales, en acciones privadas o en caracteres físicos de los solicitantes; sin perjuicio de ello, el Juzgado inteviniente podrá denegar la solicitud cuando estuviere plenamente probado que el causante realizó actos de carácter público que significaron la negación de los derechos humanos, la sustitución del sistema democrático, el empleo ilegal de la fuerza o la concentración personal del poder.

steveinbsas said:
I'm not sure from your post what "info" you are saying is false. Please elaborate.

This info is false:

2GuysInPM said:
Bad news for those of us seeking permanent residency (after 3 years of temporary residency).... :mad:

We just got an email from our residency agents, stating that a new law recently came into effect (May 2009) and that Migraciones will no longer issue permanent residency status to non-mercosur citizens, even after the 3 year temporary residency period is met (that was the requirement with the previous law many of us are familiar with).

In essence, rentista/pensionado visa temporary-residents will have to continue renewing every year as temporary residents indefinately if they wish to keep their resident status. :(

Again, this seems to affect only those who have temporary residency with Financeer (rentista) or Pensioner (Pensionado) visas.

I will post later as I find out more about this. If anyone has more info please contribute it here.

Regards

Thanks BC. If you read all of the posts in this thread you will see that there was a temporary suspension of granting permanent residency that lasted about four months. It had obviously been lifted by the time I applied in late September 2009.

steveinbsas said:
Thanks BC. If you read all of the posts in this thread you will see that there was a temporary suspension of granting permanent residency that lasted about four months. It had obviously been lifted by the time I applied in late September 2009.

It is impossible to suspend it without a Congress law.
Regards

Back