No more salt in BA restaurants

This is the most ridiculous law that I have heard about and makes no sense when you see how many soft drinks that Argentinians and foreigners guzzle alike that are much more harmful than salt . If you wish to protect peoples health you ban soft drinks , curtail fast foods, and prohibit the sale of 90 % of the processed food for sale in Buenos Aires that has no or very little nutritional benefit!

How about education and letting people make decisions for themselves? Government intervention in mundane things like softdrinks and salt consumption are just ridiculous to me.

More from H.S.Y.-

A guy walks into a restaurant with a salt shaker in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

Napoleon said:
More from H.S.Y.-

A guy walks into a restaurant with a salt shaker in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Stop me if you've heard this one before...

I've just been informed that I'm telling it wrong. Let me fix it.

[Maria Florencia] walks into a [parrilla] [45 minutes late] with a salt shaker in one hand and [her Blackberry] in the other. [¿Viste?...]

[Che] stop me if you've heard this one before... [¿Dale?...]

I apologize for butchering the setup. I hope it didn't ruin the joke for anyone.

:eek:

[Maria Florencia] walks into a [parrilla] [45 minutes late] with a salt shaker in one hand and [her Blackberry] in the other. [¿Viste?...]

"Maria Florencia"s eat sushi, not asado. The "viste?" describes her position in the social scale, maybe San Isidro, probably La Lucila. The Blackberry instead pinpoints her in Belgrano C, sweaty from her recent trip in the deadly D "green" metro line.

marksoc said:
The "viste?" describes her position in the social scale, maybe San Isidro, probably La Lucila.

Honestly I never thought of this as a class signifier. I live (literally) a stone's throw from La Boca and hear "viste" everywhere.

I will be perfectly happy with this law if it finally forces Argentines to begin experimenting with new and exotic flavors... such as black pepper :eek:

Salt is bland and bad for you, compared to the myriad of spices they sell at El Gato Negro (Corrientes // Montevideo) which seems to be unknown to restaurants. But,

Is anyone else even remotely bothered that yet another country is passing legislation that infringes upon your individual rights as a human person for no reason other than to expands the authority and responsibilities of the state?

There was a time when restaurants were private establishments which reserved the same rights of admission as you do in your own home. Of course remembering that now is socially criminal and punishable by Rachel Maddow in all her frozen fury.

This isn't about salt, it's about power - just as salt has always been in history.

Well, whoever commented that this will be enforced about the same as the no smoking law is probably correct. Going back and forth from BA and the States has made me appreciate the order in the States; people actually stop at stop lights/signs, obey no smoking laws, and are scared to speed (for the most part--at least compared to BA). I can't tell you how many times I've been in a car flying down a highway in BA at around 170 kph, and all without a cop in sight.

Relative to BA, people don't bribe cops in the States.

Please don't take this as a BA-bashing post. I love the place. But the order of things is what makes me feel at ease when I'm in the US.

When you ask for the salt, and it finally gets to you, can you smoke it ?

Back