No More Western Union To The Us And Delta Restricts Sales

Please help me understand this:

Are you saying that an Argie credit card holder will not be able to buy an airline ticket (not originating from Arg) with his credit card on, say, Orbitz? How can they deny that technically while allowing the Argie, who happens to be overseas, from buying other goods and services with his card (paying the extra 20%)?

I can understand how the gov't or the airlines can tell Argie agencies not to sell tickets not originating in Arg, but how can they control a credit card purchase overseas? It's very easy to make the transaction go through a third party and the card issuer has no idea what was actually bought.

That is the thing, you cannot buy flights paying in pesos that do not originate in Arg. You have to do it with dollars, dollar bills, or foreign cc or buy them abroad. Unless it is a connecting flight, let´t say you are going EZE to SF with a stop in NYC.

Sorry then I Don't understand well at all. I believed if a ticket was issued BA - SF RT with a stopover in NYC was OK. Seems I'm wrong...??

Sorry then I Don't understand well at all. I believed if a ticket was issued BA - SF RT with a stopover in NYC was OK. Seems I'm wrong...??

Well apparently they will limit such tickets or won´t issue them at all, unless it is a connecting flight. The only airline so far that has made this official is Delta though.

That is the thing, you cannot buy flights paying in pesos that do not originate in Arg. You have to do it with dollars, dollar bills, or foreign cc or buy them abroad. Unless it is a connecting flight, let´t say you are going EZE to SF with a stop in NYC.

And you can't do that because you can't pull the money you'd need from the ATM in said foreign country to buy that ticket...

And you can't do that because you can't pull the money you'd need from the ATM in said foreign country to buy that ticket...

As far as I understand, you could still go to a foreign travel agent (could be to an online agency like Orbitz, etc. without getting out of your seat), pay with the Argie CC, no need for cash, and pay the official rate + 20% regardless of origin or destination of your travels. Am I wrong?

But it is not just that. Imagine you are visiting relatives in your home country. You buy here a ticket BsAs - NYC for example. And then you want to go visit your friends in California. If you want to buy NYC-SF you cannot do it with your Argentine cc, which I think is abusive if you are an Argentine resident and earning pesos!

Actually we just avoided this exact problem... we have to go to Hawaii for my sister's wedding -- we have airmiles for 2 tix EZE-SFO. Husband paid his to SFO. Then we had to buy 3 tix originating SJC - Kauai (SJC = 300 bucks less per person, 900 bucks saving). So had we left the ticket buying until now, we would have been out of luck.... thank god we already purchased -- and we had problems with each purchase, the CC got "refused" each time even though he had more than enough room on it. We think it got refused because with both purchases the airline sent a message saying there was a problem, and that we had to come in in person and pay -- but oh, by paying in person we had to pay both the 20% tax right then and there, and the airline got the nice little bonus of charging us an extra 25 or 30 USD per ticket for having us pay in person instead of via online.

EDIT: To explain a bit further, which ties in with one of the posters above: We are not buying tickets that are straight through with just a stopover, if our tickets had been back to back we probably would have been ok even as of now. But because of the whole airmiles lack of seats, I fly 28th July with the kid, arrive the 29th. Then husband had to buy ticket, but there was 400USD price difference between flying with me and flying later, so he comes 29th, arrives 30th. Then we all fly together to Hawaii on the 31st.

Are you saying that an Argie credit card holder will not be able to buy an airline ticket (not originating from Arg) with his credit card on, say, Orbitz? How can they deny that technically while allowing the Argie, who happens to be overseas, from buying other goods and services with his card (paying the extra 20%)?

but how can they control a credit card purchase overseas? It's very easy to make the transaction go through a third party and the card issuer has no idea what was actually bought.

Those bits in bold are worrying, if it isn't enough already.
What a tangled web they weave.

I can understand how the gov't or the airlines can tell Argie agencies not to sell tickets not originating in Arg, but how can they control a credit card purchase overseas? It's very easy to make the transaction go through a third party and the card issuer has no idea what was actually bought.

This restriction is only for argentinian companies. They can't-won't issue tickets for trips outside the country. In other words, you can't buy a ticket from Miami-Chicago in Argentina, but you can go to Orbitz or AA.com for example, select that same trip and pay with your credit card paying the bill with pesos at the end of the month.

They are not controlling credit card purchases yet.

Back