No more dollars from Western Union

citygirl

Registered
I just found out (I'm a little behind) that you can no longer receive Western Union payments in dollars sent from outside to here. Up until a month or so ago, you could.

That, combined with the capital flight issue, would explain the increase in the black market exchange rate for dollars. I heard 4.5 the other day. Guess I'm going to hold onto my dollars a little bit longer before changing them - all signs seem to be pointing towards the peso continuing to drop.

Are you sure this is recent? The American Express office used to cash a personal check and give dollars, but now all you can get are pesos. It's been this way for about 6 months as some new law was passed.

Yep, it's recent. I had friends who got payments sent to them via WU in dollars and they could pick them up here in dollars. I think the change in policy occurred sometime in May.

I used to send money from here (BA) to Canada via Western Union and that as of April is no longer possible.

I had my parents wire some money to my wife yesterday through Western Union and she was able to receive the money in dollars. It may be that Argentines are still able to get dollars or perhaps they have gone back to allowing us to get dollars.

It depends on the location you go to.

va2ba said:
I had my parents wire some money to my wife yesterday through Western Union and she was able to receive the money in dollars. It may be that Argentines are still able to get dollars or perhaps they have gone back to allowing us to get dollars.

Back