No plan B, no easy choices

Why are you blaming the argentinian people for the economic mess of this country? .
Have you ever thought about a conspiration to keep a small group of rich people in power with international support that create the economic crises so prevalent in Argentina in the last 50 years .

In regards to Miami Trips this is maybe 10% of the population and they do this for the simple reason that it is much cheaper to buy electronics and clothing there . They buy for a few years on their trips and also bring back for friends and relatives . Why does Argentina have the highest taxes in the world on electronics ? i am sure if the prices were reasonable people would never buy in Miami and invest in local business helping the economy .

Under the current government wages the minimum wage has been slashed in us dollar terms by 50% . This is brutal and would not ever be acceptable in Italy, France, Sweden or Australia . The cost of living in Argentina is sky high also with prices of supermarket goods more expensive than Europe . I am surprised how accepting that Argentinians are at times .
In actual fact under the last government of the Kirchners whole neighbourhoods were transformed from nothing . Think about Puerto Madero and Palermo Soho many people brought run down properties there and renovated them into beautiful spaces . This was possible due to a hope for a better future and a cheap peso .

I suggest that you go to Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood today and see how its looking now . 30% of shops closed, a handful of clients here and there and a dull atmosphere . I lived in the heart of Palermo Soho from 2004 to 2012 and it was a hopeful vibrant neighbourhood with new shops opening by the day . Now with 4 years of Macrismo the change is stark .

Your argument was that most homes haven't been updated in decades, long before Macri was President. Do you believe they weren't updated by choice before he was in power because they aren't materialistic, but now they want to update their homes all of a sudden and can't because of the 2019 economy? Real estate and neighborhood development is never straight up. There are parts of cities that are popular and then not so hot. Palermo Hollywood, Chacarita, Colegiales, Retiro and several other parts of CABA have experienced enormous investment in the past few years, it's how trends work. And no, I don't think there's some international conspiracy to keep Argentina in crisis permanently, that's what CFK and her friends like to brainwash people with though as an excuse for their mediocre results.

Your argument was that most homes haven't been updated in decades, long before Macri was President. Do you believe they weren't updated by choice before he was in power because they aren't materialistic, but now they want to update their homes all of a sudden and can't because of the 2019 economy? Real estate and neighborhood development is never straight up. There are parts of cities that are popular and then not so hot. Palermo Hollywood, Chacarita, Colegiales, Retiro and several other parts of CABA have experienced enormous investment in the past few years, it's how trends work. And no, I don't think there's some international conspiracy to keep Argentina in crisis permanently, that's what CFK and her friends like to brainwash people with though as an excuse for their mediocre results.

Those who invested in Palermo Soho did so because there was a financial benefit in their decision made possible due to hope and a good chance of making some profit . This is caused capitalism.

I find it very ironic that you who support Macri cannot admit he is anti capitalist for the masses but pro capitalist for 2 percent of the population . Then you expect people to support him?

"Recoleta people are asset rich and cash poor ".

Yeah, each month when I received the building financial statements, the people who are behind the monthly expense payment are on the top, in red color. Each month, the red names are different. People are having a hard time. This is a nice building in Recoleta, the previous owners of my apartment are lawyers (one is private with a CPA license and wife is a public defender lawyer). There are couple of doctors in the buildings and a few who inherited the real estate from families.

One day I visited my neighbor, an old lady who is retired, both of her daughters are doctors working at Las Canitas hospital (maybe there is a children hospital there and one military hospital ?). Anyway, I saw a hole in her kitchen wall, she said she was trying to save enough to buy a kitchen extractor (kitchen fan) for months. When I sold my apt, the escrow lawyer miscalculated the proceeds, the buyer owe me a few hundred dollars, I asked the buyer to give it to my old lady neighbor, I hope he did.

The guy who bought my apt is also a lawyer. His father, who has a construction company, paid 90% of the purchase price. It was a big day at the final signing, the father showed up with shinning hairs, shirt with cuff links , and a Rolex watch. Anyway, it takes 2 generations to buy an apt. For average people, renting is probably the only option.

It is very simple - Argentina spends far more than it makes. The problems and solutions seem so complex - in large part because of years and years of spending more than it makes (and I’m talking about the government, not individuals). But fundamentally, that is the problem. Solutions - spend less (and nobody seems supportive of austerity) or make more (either higher taxes, which are also not politically supported; or economy stimulation along with higher taxes - and the levers for economic stimulation are either already pulled and used up long ago, or are dependent on macroeconomic forces beyond Argentina’s control, like commodity prices). Yes, social programs are great if you can afford them - Argentina cannot. Similar economies have recovered either by severe and prolonged belt tightening, or taking advantage of improved macroeconomic conditions (which is usually just timing luck).

Argentina government set a bad example for its people, by not being financially responsible. US gov is the same, but with more resources than the AR gov, spending like crazy. The last financial crisis taught American families a lot.

Back