No Wire Transfers Anymore?

Last time I did a wire transfer was probably around a year and a half ago - through Banco Piano. All of the banks used to be able to do it, although it wasn't necessarily cheap. I know that Santander Rio, where I have my wage account, can do it, but it was kind of wacky, because they wouldn't allow you to wire out of your dollar acount to the US, you had to reconver the dollars to pesos, and wire from that account.

Of course it is more complicated now, but I highly doubt impossible. I just have been trying to avoid it lately, so I hoard until I fly home, or a family member comes to visit me.

mariposa said:
yes you can but you have to have a dollar account and you have to have dollars in it. but there will be monthly limits on dollar withdrawals and they don't know the rules yet. (i talked to my banker about exactly that, yesterday.) of course why should the banks know the rules yet, it's a whole week away! ha ha...

Good point - I was assuming that the OP was talking about a peso account. You are correct - if you have a dollar account, you can withdraw dollars (or other currencies I presume) when traveling abroad.

im in the same predicament...id like to wire some money from Canada, about 10,000 usd....are there any options in Uruguay, if i'm not a resident of Argentina?

One can do it en negro. If you happen to have a contact working at a casa de cambio, you have good chances. Actually the casa de cambio does not transfer any money, but gives your money in Argentina to someone transferring money in the opposite way. I can confirm it works.

Just wanted to update that now Western Union has apparently had to change their policy and does not allow ANY money to be sent to the States. Western Union has apparently some new list of countries where funds cannot be sent to, and the US is nº 1 on that list. Funds can still be recieved in pesos from anywhere. The manager says that it is apparently causing a huge uproar at the corporate office because Western Union advertises itself as being so international and such an easy way to get funds across, that this policy does not comply with the way they sell their brand image. I am sure Visa/Mastercard will also be pretty pissed about the new debit card policies being as they are so international- ¨accepted everywhere you go¨ type product.

What's the latest news on when the latest laws begin?
If you are selling property in Argentina, how are you supposed to take the money out of the country? Legally, I mean.
I heard April 2 was when you can no longer take money out of an Argentine bank account from another country, but I'm not sure if that has changed in the last 15 minutes...

once again: yes you can but you have to have a dollar account and you have to have dollars in it.
I heard April 2 was when you can no longer take money out of an Argentine bank account from another country

where can i find a list of countries that it is still possible to send money to from argentina. i would like to send money to south africa.

Back