Noche de los Museos this Saturday, Nov 14

EliA

Registered
This is an event that you should definitely not miss if you'll be around this Saturday, November 14. I went last year and it is incredible.

http://www.lanochedelosmuseos.com.ar/

Dozens of museums, government sites, and other culturally relevant places participate. It's one of the few nights a year that Palacio de Congreso is open and it's gorgeous, with live music and plenty of experts there to explain to you what you're looking at, whether it is the actual chambers, the library, the Eva Peron room, etc. The line moves pretty quickly, and just remember that it's free so be patient. (Conversely, Casa Rosada is skippable since they only let you into the museum which is open most days of the week as it is, yet there is a crazy line to get in.)

Thousands upon thousands of people turn out for it and the vibe is positive and energetic. There are free buses that shuttle you around and lots of art instalations and performances.

I look forward to hearing about people's experiences!

EliA said:
It's one of the few nights a year that Palacio de Congreso is open and it's gorgeous, with live music and plenty of experts there to explain to you what you're looking at, whether it is the actual chambers, the library, the Eva Peron room, etc.

Is this "The Congreso"?

I'm thinking about going to Palacio San Martin, because I went for a tour about a month ago and starting that day and into the foreseeable future, it was closed for tours. I know that it will be open, because it has a huge banner hanging in front of it, so I want to check it out.

This is definitely a must for anyone here this Saturday night. The energy all over town is amazing and all of these locations are open until 2.00 (2am). Of course, it feels like 22.00 (10pm) when they are closing, but that's just because there are families everywhere with little kids and old people and people everywhere and yada-yada-yada.

It's one of the best things about any big city anywhere in the world and it happens once a year right here in Buenos Aires.

suerte chicos

EliA said:
The line moves pretty quickly, and just remember that it's free so be patient.

Thanks for the information, we went to the congresso, and I was happy I had prepared my family for "long waiting lines that move fast". They already started moaning when they saw them... "I am not going to wait here!", but we did and 10 minutes later we were inside!

It was worth the visit, although it could use a bit of cleaning up (especially the library, looked very chaotic), the building is really nice, and the concerts given were really nice too.

Thanks for the tip!

I have been out on the town for Night on the Museum the last three years.

It is becoming very popular, so the "big name" museums (MALBA, for example) do get crowded, with a big risk of a long line to get in. I'd advise steering clear of them.

This year I went to the Museo Historico del Regimento de Granaderos (Luis Campos 554, in Las Cañitas) and the Museo de Los Patricios de Buenos Aires (Av. Int. Bullrich 481 Palermo), timing arrivals to coincide with marching band displays in original (early 19th century) military costumes. My date's pick, and it worked out as these are museums I did not know existed and might never have visited.

At 11:15 p.m. Museo Evita (Gutierrez y Lafinur, Palermo Botanico) had a crowd but no wait at all to get in.

The Congresso tip (see above posts of EliA and katti) with access to a lot of rooms is a great one and I will try that next year.

A few friends and I went to the San Ignacio de Loyola Museum - where we had a choripan and a coke in the patio, then the Museo de La Ciudad (we had the chance to meet the man who created that museum and the Feria de San Telmo!) and after that we tried to go to the Manzana de las Luces, but the queue didn`t seem to "flow" so we desisted.

Elia we also visited the Congreso de la Nación because of your tip, so thank you!

But I think the best part of it was seeing the people on the streets, everyone in a good mood, just enjoying the night!

Katti, way to stick to your guns. I saw one very unhappy-looking child as his mother refused to wait in line for a train ride and the line wasn't that bad at all.

Delfina, sounds like you took full advantage of the night! Yours actually sounds more successful than mine but I did get to see two places in Caballito and take a ride on an historic tranvia before listening to a cool band play until 2 am so I did participate a bit. And, there's always the next one which should be in May.

For future reference, they let big groups of people down at a time in the line for Manzana de las Luces, so it doesn't move for 10 minutes and then it jumps forward. But, that's open fairly frequently so you can do it any time.

I absolutely agree though that the best part is just seeing all the people out and about.

Back