Non Residents Buying Intl. Air & Hotel In Pesos...?

Rich One

Registered
How long will it be possible, for nonresidents, to buy Travel Packages for international travel in Pesos. At the Official rate? In view of the Central Bank moves on travel agencies and rumors that the rate would go up to the Blue soon? :eek:

Heard a lot of speculation and rumors about an excise tax 15%. Think the AFIP has zeroed in on some tour operators using the system to launder money. Buy the tickets/packages in pesos and cash them out for dollars. Who knows what is on the horizon. Buy now.
http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/economia/2-215115-2013-03-05.html

question kinda based on that- if i am booking a hotel on the coast, can they insist on charging me dollars cause im not argentine?

Nope, national currency is still Pesos for everybody. You will get charged a different rate for airfares though.

question kinda based on that- if i am booking a hotel on the coast, can they insist on charging me dollars cause im not argentine?

Good chance they'll give you a discount if you pay in cash dollars.

Nope, national currency is still Pesos for everybody. You will get charged a different rate for airfares though.

iznogud: I know you know this but you forgot to mention this is only for domestic flights (within Argentina). I've not seen such price discrimination (two different peso prices) on flights going outside of Argentina (other than all the Argie government workers flying free or highly discounted on Aerolineas!).

For example I just bought a flight to Rio using pesos bought at blue rate, paying ~35% less than if I had charged it to a (dollar-based) credit card. Technique was to buy the ticket directly in pesos at the airlines office, sometimes they make you walk over to a nearby bank and pay there, bringing back the bank-receipt as evidence.
The Delta Airlines office downtown (Suipacha y SantaFe) will take pesos directly, whereas Emirates Airlines requires the bank walk. There are other ways, of course.

Also a side-note, I'm finding many of the internationals are really limiting check-in luggage, for example the cheaper LAN flights to Rio now allow 24Kg max. total weight on 2 pieces, and TAM & GOL are charging US$10-$12 per kg on excess.. Scrimpy!

- Jim.

How long will it be possible, for nonresidents, to buy Travel Packages for international travel in Pesos. At the Official rate? In view of the Central Bank moves on travel agencies and rumors that the rate would go up to the Blue soon? :eek:
Sounds like non-residents cannot buy travel packages or airline tickets in pesos. Party is over?
http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/156794-Prohben-la-venta-de-pasajes-y-paquetes-tursticos-a-no-residentes

Back