Non stuffy private primary school suggestions in BA

Hello,
Thank you for these recommendations. I’ve never heard of them. I’ll do some more research.
My kid speaks fluent Spanish but a billingual school is better as less pressure. He understands Anda Calabaza Argentine Spanish but from what I’ve heard the slang will be a bit of a shock.
On that note, do I need to be worried my kids going to be learning just a local dialect at these schools? We prefer neutral Spanish if possible. Our friends Argentine kids speak neutral which they learn from TV
In Australia we constantly have to watch the local dialect does not wreck his English.

Last edited:
How far do you go in your pursuit of a neutral Spanish. Will you disuade the use of sh sounds? Will you not allow vos to leave his mouth?

That might be tricky as he will want to speak in a way that fits in with his peers.

I’ve had students slowly transitioning from tu to vos and as their teacher I made sure that everybody understood that we speak differently. These students would become bidilectual after a while. Using vos y tu depending on the situation.

You can compare that to the use of Standard Australian English vs Aboriginal English.

I don’t speak Spanish so my questions probably sound a bit weird and ridiculous.( and snobby)

My kid knows the basics of Argentine Spanish, and can differentiate from Castilian or Neutral. Vos is no prob as is the sh sound and clearly there are some different words

In theory there is no ‘ proper English’ There are varieties of English. That being said,if I send my kid to the UK to learn English, I don’t want him to learn Cockney at school.

‘Ugly’ Australian English is an oral dialect. Kids learn a pretty standard English at all schools.

So I guess my question is what type of Spanish do kids learn ? Is it much different from Castilian or neutral or pretty close just with Vos, shh and some different words for things ?
Also is it true that many kids are now speaking neutral is is that just my friends kids?

Last edited:
There is no way that he will learn the equivalent of Cockney in a private school. But the RioPlatense, with the sh and the vos, is predominant both with his classmates and teachers. I don’t live around Buenos Aires anymore but where I do live we have a big transplant population that speak that way. Since I learnt Spanish in Buenos Aires that is my normal so it doesn’t stand out to me.

Where I teach, Villa la Angostura, I don’t have any students that speak neutral, unless they put it on. They either speak rioplatense or more of a Chilean accent.

Your son would probably enter second grade so he wouldn’t be taught a lot of grammatical structure. It’s mainly reading fluency and comprehension at that level. As for writing, if he has a neutral style in his writing and the teacher tries to move him towards a more rioplatense style ask to have a meeting with them to see if his neutral style has any actual issues.

And in maths it’s mainly mathematical thinking at this age. You may find that it’s moving slower than his current schooling. Generally they do a lot of groundwork before teaching any formulaic maths. This is all in accordance with the new way of thinking but sometimes it seems terribly slow.

Thanks for your message.
He would be going into grade 3. Maths is slow here as well as they don’t want to freak out the disadvantaged kids ( which there are many ) in our isolated rural area
I asked my son how different Rioplatense is from Neutral and if can he understand all if it. He said he can understand it and it’s very different but that’s fine and he likes learning the new Argentine words. So it looks like we will have no problem 😊

@Dani
Thanks for your message.
He would be going into grade 3. Maths is slow here as well as they don’t want to freak out the disadvantaged kids ( which there are many ) in our isolated rural area
I asked my son how different Rioplatense is from Neutral and if can he understand all if it. He said he can understand it and it’s very different but that’s fine and he likes learning the new Argentine words. So it looks like we will have no problem 😊
I understand this is an old thread, however, in a similar situation and would love to hear (if open via DM) how your situation resolved.

Back