Not an expat but ..

mercjoe

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm not an expat but my girlfriend is from Canada.

She's been here on vacation and really liked it, that's how we met 3 years ago. Since then she's been here several times and I've traveled to Canada a couple of times.

This time she'll be spending a few months, it'll be some sort of a test stay.

It's not slefishness and it's a long story but she can afford leaving Canada but I really can't leave Argieland. At least for a few years.

I thought it might be a good idea reading foreigners having gone through a similar situation. I'd really like her to feel at home.

Cheers
Diego

This is a great question.

If she perceives (more than feels) that she is more important to you than your Argentine friends (especially male), she should be a happy girl. :)

If she can "afford to leave Canada" all you need to hope for is that she decides to do so.

Just be yourself.

If you get what you wish for you deserve it.;)

mercjoe, I think what you're doing is great and very sweet. I hope you find some good information here!

I think it is very nice that you are asking for help to help her feel more comfortable!

The advice that I will offer her (and you) is that while you will be including her in your activities and introducing her to your friends, it might also be important for her to feel like she has friends and interests separate from you so that she feels like BA can be HER home and not just feel like a visitor in your home. (If that makes sense.)

I would encourage her to find time to explore her interests and meet new people without you. Of course she will still be spending time with you and meeting your friends, as well. But this would just give her a more broader experience of the city/country.

Best wishes!

Back