Notes from getting Married in CABA

Yuyo

Registered
Joined
Dec 12, 2022
Messages
64
Likes
64
Hey all,

Keeping in tradition with my documentation of getting digital nomad visas, I wanted to share some general information from getting married in the city in-case it can help anyone else.

(mainly regarding CITY of Buenos Aires; notes on province later)

In Summary the process was
  • Fill out the first online application on the city site covering scheduling and basic info on the spouses
  • Regarding scheduling you can pick any city hall, central headquarters, or a special event location (which will have extra rules & requirements)
    • We went the Headquarters office because it looked nice and was convenient. It turned out great and had a whole floor and waiting area just for marriage fillings (it was just us and family during that time slot). Plus the exit leads to a nice outdoor patio section exclusive for marriage events and makes for great family photos.
  • After that first online form they'll email a follow up link that needs more info and must be completed within 48hrs.
  • It'll need;
    • Photos of front and back of spouses ID's (I used my passport, and yes, uploaded a pointless "back" photo)
    • Front and back of the witness ID's (2 min.)
    • Assorted personal details like parent names, occupations (everyone including parents), etc.
    • Translator ID and license if applicable
      • On that note, regarding translators; we went with one because some of the stories folks have shared have ranged from there being basic questions and answers, to judges interrogating both spouses and demanding they can articulate the entire history of the relationship
      • In our personal experience, it was useless and an A2 level of Spanish with some lecturing on marriage talk would've been enough (decide at your own risk and comfort level).
      • If you do want one, heads up that they must be from the city's official "college of translators". I just cold-emailed a dozen off their website directory and went with one that had a nice linked-in page.
  • After that second form is sent in within 48hr., you'll have to wait for an email confirming the application is approved (I think it was 4-5 business days for us).
  • Then, just show up with yourselves, witnesses, and printed photocopies of everything submitted online on the day.
  • Central Headquarters had no guest limit and couple probably handle 40 people.
  • Then you go to the third floor, wait until your time slot, go into a mini courtroom, and go through the ceremony.
    • First half is a judge reading all the application info and verablly confirmation Names, Dates of Birth, etc.
    • Then a legal lecture on the duties and responsibility of marriage.
    • Then making you stand and say "I do". (note, to the question "do you take this person as your spouse", my answer "si" was not legally sufficent and had to backpedel with an "accepto".
    • This judge gave us time to give rings and kiss (looks like some don't, but maybe central headquarters is fancier).
    • Then the judge gives a beatiful speach about love and wishing you well (probally case by case)
  • Other notes and tips
    • The Argentinian spouse MUST have an ID listing and adress within CABA. We had an issue where a staff member had confirmed to us that me having a digital nomad visa which showed a CABA adress plus a certificate of domicile would cover the city requirement. It did not, and our first application was rejected.
    • Rolling off that, we did consider filling with a city hall outside of the city. I'm sure it varies, but the one we tried with never picked up the phone to answer questions. I'd have to guess the province side of things are much less responsive. So we opted to update the ID and file within the city instead.
    • If you you do use the province version, heads up that it uses a different website, you must physically show up 14 + days before the ceremony with your documents and copies to verify, and some of the offices outside of the city are not visually appealing at all.
P.S., you get a little red passport book that lists the marriage (and any future kids) afterwards. I don't think it's legally valid for much like the marriage certificate, but I love it.

P.S.S. It's free to marry in the city, not free in the province (tip from another couple, bring excact cash if in provice, needs to be excact).

Anyhow, hope that can be helpful for anyone else who woefully fell in love with an Argentinian.

Happy to help if anyone has any questions.
 
When I wanted to get married in 2014 I answered truthfully that I had been divorced 20 years earlier. That set off 9 months of searching for official copies of my divorce documents in New York, submitting them, then being told they were incorrect/insufficient. Finally the big day arrived when we were told that everything was in order, I had proved that I was divorced. Instead of being free to marry at that point I was told that I had to submit official documents to prove that I was married before I got divorced. The first step was to get an official copy of my marriage license but I had no idea which courthouse in New York issued it so we gave up. We were married in the U.S. but we gave up on being married in Argentina until a friend of a friend knew someone who worked in the Argentine embassy in Chicago who helped us legalize our marraige in Argentina. All because I answered truthfully.
 
Back
Top