Notifying the SSA of moving to Argentina

SSA sends out a form every 2 years that you must fill out and return if you want to keep receiving your benefits. You should keep them informed of your current address. There's absolutely no reason to hide your address from them.
Actually; it's known as the "proof of life" form that they send to SS recipients who have tegistered as living abroad, and if the completed form is not returnrd by the end of February of the following year, the monthly benefiits are temporarily suspended.

If you have moved outside the United States permanently, you should decide whether to keep Medicare Parts A and B. While you can have Medicare while living abroad, it will usually not cover the care you receive. Most people qualify for premium-free Part A, meaning you will pay nothing for coverage. However, keeping Part B may not be worth the cost if you live abroad permanently and do not take frequent trips to the U.S. Medicare does not provide any coverage for medical or hospital services outside the U.S. Therefore, expats in Argentina may need to explore other health coverage options in the country.

I will keep part B. With new government in ARG it will be, for major care, more cost-effective to hop on a plane a receive care in the US.

I will keep part B. With new government in ARG it will be, for major care, more cost-effective to hop on a plane a receive care in the US.
"
With new government in ARG it will be...more cost-effective to hop on a plane a receive care in the US."

What else does your crystal ball tell you?

None thar I know of, as long as you return the completef "proof of life" form before March 1st of the year after it was due.
But in order to receive that form, SSA has to know one is residing overseas. My question remains: Is there a downside to the SSA being notified of the move overseas? I ask because of the answer above: "not a peep" etc

But in order to receive that form, SSA has to know one is residing overseas. My question remains: Is there a downside to the SSA being notified of the move overseas? I ask because of the answer above: "not a peep" etc
Nope. No downside.

No crystal ball. Just historical memory. And I won't get into this. I was born in Argentina and have lived long enough to have seen all of this before. I refrained from opining when reading the nonsense written here regarding the miracles this Milei will perform and wont start now. 10-10.

No crystal ball. Just historical memory. And I won't get into this. I was born in Argentina and have lived long enough to have seen all of this before. I refrained from opining when reading the nonsense written here regarding the miracles this Milei will perform and wont start now. 10-10.
I'm 68 and I have lived long enough to know that any speculation about the future is just a guess. Granted, the guess may or may not be accurate, but at the end of the day, it is nothing but a guess.

It would be "helpful" to know if there is any downside of NOT letting them know (if it could be considered a "violation" of SS policies that have negative "consequences" for the recipient).

A phone call to the Social Security Administration should provde an answer. Local SS offices may not be able to provide an accurate answer, as they rarely (if ever) deal with SS recipiebnts living outside of the USA

I see no reason to keep my foreign address a secret from them and would prefer to be in compliance with the existing regulations which no doubt require that my actual address of residency be disclosed.

Being truthful about my residency kept me from having to sign up or paying for insurance under the ACA when the time came. Even though I was already receiving SS, I was not yet eligible for Medicare (and opted out when I turned 65).

Last edited:
It would be "helpful" to know if there is any downside of NOT letting them know (if it could be considered a "violation" of SS policies that have negative "consequences" for the recipient).

A phone call to the Social Security Administration should provde an answer. Local SS offices may not be able to provide an accurate answer, as they rarely (if ever) deal with SS recipiebnts living outside of the USA

I see no reason to keep my foreign address a secret from them and would prefer to be in compliance with the existing regulations which no doubt require that my actual address of residency be disclosed.

Being truthful about my residency kept me from having to sign up or paying for insurance under the ACA when the time came. Even though I was already receiving SS, I was not yet eligible for Medicare (and opted out when I turned 65).

Back