Number of residents born in the USA

I hear from time to time that there are about 25,000 US citizens living either permanently
or temporarily in Argentina at any given moment. I guess immigration numbers would only
be accurate if they did a census. Or something like that.

I hear from time to time that there are about 25,000 US citizens living either permanently
or temporarily in Argentina at any given moment. I guess immigration numbers would only

The majority are argentinians who are usa citizens . After the last economic crash of 2008 in the USA there was a huge flood of returning argentinians with usa citizenship . Most came from Miami and there were many articles on this topic at that time .

I remember in 2006 that Buenos Aires was redhot with american expats looking for a sophisticated city to retire in . This article in 2006 was the catalyst for many to make the move down here .

http://nymag.com/guides/changeyourlife/16047/

:.....In spite of the (at least for now) most favorable exchange rate in a number of years, it's easy to imagine that more than a few of them are considering leaving. Except for those who are here to be with an Argentine family, the rest (IMO) are here to schmooze with other expats over coffee at Starbucks, and recent posts have indicated there are usually less than ten expats in attendance.

I agree with the above excerpt from the post by steveinbsas. Historically Coffee Chat attendance at Starbucks varies depending on the seasons. More part-time expats are in BA during our spring-summer so the number of attendees increases during those months. And they return to their countries of origin or head elsewhere with the arrival of our fall-winter. So the weekly attendance throughout the year is between 5-25 persons.

I’ve already liked your comment, but I still want to reply and say, very well said. You hit the nail on the head. I’m thankful to be in the third group now as well. We’ve been in and out of Argentina since 2001, living full time or part time, owning property, and having business and personal ties to the country. I remember BA being the red hot expat destination, and that brought a whole different list of expat issues to this site (“Where can I take my visiting parents for an amazing, cheap steak, at a local restaurant with a view and not get ripped off by a motochorro?”). It does seem like the die hard lovers of the country and those who are tied here by family are the main ones who remain here full time.

I

i'd add a 4th group. those here because of work. which is why i am here :)

Historically Coffee Chat attendance at Starbucks varies depending on the seasons. More part-time expats are in BA during our spring-summer so the number of attendees increases during those months. And they return to their countries of origin or head elsewhere with the arrival of our fall-winter. So the weekly attendance throughout the year is between 5-25 persons.

I've always thought that one of the greatest attractions for expats in Argentina is the ability to participate in the Argentine "cafe society" and that's why I would be unlikely to ever attend an expat coffee chat at Starbucks...

...though I would be happy to meet most of the same expats in a real Buenos Aires cafe.

Last edited:
After I wrote this:
I've always thought that one of the greatest attractions for expats in Argentina is the ability to participate in the Argentine "cafe society" and that's why I would be unlikely to ever attend an expat coffee chat at Starbucks...

...though I would be happy to meet most of the same expats in a real Buenos Aires cafe.
What pretentious pseudo intellectual snobbery!

What pretentious pseudo intellectual snobbery![/QUOTE

What a knee-jerk ejaculation.

]Some people really do despise Starbucks.

I also happen to be one of them..

Nonetheless, I really would be happy to meet most of the same expats who gather for the expat coffee chats at Starbucks in a real Buenos Aires cafe.

PS: I wonder which group of expats is more likely to fall into the "pseudo-intellectual' category, those who gather at Starbucks, or those who prefer genuine Argentine cafes?

Last edited:
I agree on the anti-Starbucks. It would be cool to meet people, but compared with all the great places in Buenos Aires, Starbucks is an unfortunate choice: ugly, global chain, mediocre food and drink, no booze, and generally just not a nice place to spend time.

As my last post got trapped inside the one I was replying to, here they are separated after birth...

What pretentious pseudo intellectual snobbery!

What a knee-jerk ejaculation.

Some people really do despise Starbucks.

I also happen to be one of them..

Nonetheless, I really would be happy to meet most of the same expats who gather for the expat coffee chats at Starbucks in a real Buenos Aires cafe.

PS: I wonder which group of expats is more likely to fall into the "pseudo-intellectual' category, those who gather at Starbucks, or those who prefer genuine Argentine cafes?

I too can't stand Starbucks. Why was this place chosen?

Back