Number of residents born in the USA

Joglide

Registered
I'm not sure if there are official "expat exodus" numbers, but almost all the expat friends I had (who said they would NEVER leave) left long ago. Most didn't leave due to the country's economic issues. Most left because they simply got bored with BA. Argentina had its turn as the "hot" expat destination. Times change. Trends change. People constantly want something new.

And yes, BA might still be cheap compared to many major cities. But it's now expensive enough that it's no longer as attractive as an expat destination. The expat dream is the luxury apartment for $50k USD close to the beach — not a studio apartment in BA. Whether or not that $50k beach villa exists is another story. But that's what people go in search for.

Most migration happened of course in the later 19thcentury and early 20thcentury from Italy, Spain etc but also from countries such as Germany and Poland. Last count suggests about 1.8m official residents of Argentina were foreign born (4.5% pop) but in contrast to many countries the numbers born in USA have been going up significantly.
1991 9,755
2001 10,552
2011 19,147

So not sure what your country is or what has been happening since 2011 but I suspect USA numbers have not declined but rather increased. Like many I am half year expat now without perm residency so not sure if we are counted at all but the numbers of people like me are really likely to be significant even if we are counted as morethanhalfoftheyear tourists. I think Argentina is a great place and am not aware of many better places for anyone with my liking for Latinamerican culture. Doubt if that beach house in the sky can be found but Valetta in Malta was a lovely sleepy place until massive Russian and other property investment sent prices literally through the roof.

In my experience, there are three types of expats.

Cheap Slackers- they migrate around the world finding places where they can do the least for the least cost. Over the years, they have ended up in many strange places- my dad was one, in Paris, in the early 50s- I knew people in the Lower East Side in the 70s who squatted and lived on a hundred bucks a month. Saw em in Bali in the early 80s, Prague in the late 90s, In Berlin at various time, in Morocco, or Costa Rica, Sayulita, Southern Thailand, Goa, Portugal, and, in the late 2000s, a lot in Buenos Aires.
But they never put down roots, and seldom buy.
They blow away when prices go up, to the next cheap place.
In 2008, there were tons of em.
Very few now.

LoveBirds- they meet somebody, and follow them home. They are never quite sure where they end up, or whether they like it. In Argentina, they often end up in out of the way suburbs where in-laws live, or in small towns in the Provincia.
They tend to be the big complainers here, as their main reason for being here is significant other and /or children.
They sometimes buy, sometimes rent, and are more at the mercy of the economy than some.
There is a steady flow of these- Love springs eternal. Most are not in the position to just pull up roots and leave, they are stuck riding out the economy, due to kids, in-laws, and family ties, visa issues, and so on.

Intentional Arrivals- I know a fair amount of these- they came here, after, usually, having travelled around the world for decades, because they chose it. The ones I know are split between full time and yo-yos who come for part of the year. It was usually a considered financial decision to buy here, and they can often afford to ride out moderate economic bumps. Thats the category I am in, hence I am not that worried about the economy- I own my apartment outright, and, compared to where I live in the states, its pretty cheap to maintain. But I make my money elsewhere, and so, people in my category are much less susceptible to disaster from the whims of the argentine economy. Most of the ones I know do not participate in forums like this, and are quite happy when here in Argentina. And not in any hurry to sell.

Each of these three categories has different issues with the economy, and the real estate market.

I'm not sure if there are official "expat exodus" numbers, but almost all the expat friends I had (who said they would NEVER leave) left long ago. Most didn't leave due to the country's economic issues. Most left because they simply got bored with BA. Argentina had its turn as the "hot" expat destination. Times change. Trends change. People constantly want something new.

And yes, BA might still be cheap compared to many major cities. But it's now expensive enough that it's no longer as attractive as an expat destination. The expat dream is the luxury apartment for $50k USD close to the beach — not a studio apartment in BA. Whether or not that $50k beach villa exists is another story. But that's what people go in search for.

Most migration happened of course in the later 19thcentury and early 20thcentury from Italy, Spain etc but also from countries such as Germany and Poland. Last count suggests about 1.8m official residents of Argentina were foreign born (4.5% pop) but in contrast to many countries the numbers born in USA have been going up significantly.
1991 9,755
2001 10,552
2011 19,147

So not sure what your country is or what has been happening since 2011 but I suspect USA numbers have not declined but rather increased. Like many I am half year expat now without perm residency so not sure if we are counted at all but the numbers of people like me are really likely to be significant even if we are counted as morethanhalfoftheyear tourists. I think Argentina is a great place and am not aware of many better places for anyone with my liking for Latinamerican culture. Doubt if that beach house in the sky can be found but Valetta in Malta was a lovely sleepy place until massive Russian and other property investment sent prices literally through the roof.

Where did you get your numbers for the number of residents born in the USA from? I would be interested in the source.

Where did you get your numbers for the number of residents born in the USA from? I would be interested in the source.
One easy access source is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Argentina

World population review also do overviews and there is also

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/argentina-population/

No one seems to have for understandable reasons numbers of temporary and multi visit residents though these have been historically very significant. One crude guess would be that there are at least as many temporary residents on 90 day visas as registered temporary residents and as many temporary residents not becoming perm residents as there are permanent residents at any point in recent years?

Joseph

Most of these figures are from returning Argentinians who lived in the USA for many years or usa citizens born to Argentinian parents . Many came back here when the economy was booming and Argentina was dirt cheap but in the last few years this number has dropped substantially . I would hazard to guess that usa citizens that are not born to argentinian parents would be less than 10.000 full time citizens in all Argentina . Someone who works in inmigration and residency would know how many usa citizens have applied for permanent residency in Argentina in the last 10 years .

Ecuador has a larger expat USA population with large communities in Cuenca , Quito , and the coastal and highland regions .

Most of these figures are from returning Argentinians who lived in the USA for many years or usa citizens born to Argentinian parents . Many came back here when the economy was booming and Argentina was dirt cheap but in the last few years this number has dropped substantially . I would hazard to guess that usa citizens that are not born to argentinian parents would be less than 10.000 full time citizens in all Argentina . Someone who works in inmigration and residency would know how many usa citizens have applied for permanent residency in Argentina in the last 10 years .

Ecuador has a larger expat USA population with large communities in Cuenca , Quito , and the coastal and highland regions .

What is your source for stating that these are returning Argentinians living rather than born in the USA or born to Arg parents? I cannot find a source which defines the country of origin of parents? The sources I looked at defined standard country of birth of the person and tracked patterns of migration in that form. Not citizens of Argentina who migrated to USA and somehow changed citizenship and then returned. Interested to know where this is recorded.

What is your source for stating that these are returning Argentinians living rather than born in the USA or born to Arg parents? I cannot find a source which defines the country of origin of parents? The sources I looked at defined standard country of birth of the person and tracked patterns of migration in that form. Not citizens of Argentina who migrated to USA and somehow changed citizenship and then returned. Interested to know where this is recorded.

From your own article the USA does not even appear in the top 16 countries of birth meaning that USA born people inmigrating to Argentina is very low . There are more Chinese, Brazilian , and Syrian inmigrants that have inmigrated to Argentina in the last 10 years than USA citizens .

Last edited:
I had a friend who was considering moving to Ecuador, because its so cheap- but he is a professional photographer, and he found there are some types of film that are not developed in the entire country, and there are some chemicals you just cannot buy- in other words, he couldnt do his work. But its cheap.

From your own article the USA does not even appear in the top 16 countries of birth meaning that USA born people inmigrating to Argentina is very low . There are more Chinese, Brazilian , and Syrian inmigrants that have inmigrated to Argentina in the last 10 years than USA citizens .

With respect. That is now my question. I am not claiming USA immigrants are the largest groups. I am asking why you state that the USA people recorded are returning Argentinians or people necessarily born to Argentine parents. I am not making a case for USA being the dominant group and am surprised that there are significant numbers. I still don't see the basis for your claims, though you may have compelling evidence for them.

With respect. That is now my question. I am not claiming USA immigrants are the largest groups. I am asking why you state that the USA people recorded are returning Argentinians or people necessarily born to Argentine parents. I am not making a case for USA being the dominant group and am surprised that there are significant numbers. I still don't see the basis for your claims, though you may have compelling evidence for them.

Thank you I have been living here for 13 years and in that time the usa population is at least half what it was in 2010 . You mentioned that the population was the following .

1991 9,755
2001 10,552
2011 19,147
Do you have a link to confirm these figures?

Back