Nw Argentina Travel Tips

Lauren16

Registered
Hello! I can't find any recent (since 2010) tips or stories about traveling to the North. My boyfriend and I are going to Salta and Quebrada de Humahuaca for a couple of weeks next month.

Based on some light research, we think we would like to hit: Salta (capital), Cachi, Cafayate, Purmamarca, Tilcara and Salinas Grandes.

Please let me know if you have any tips or recommendations (must see places, places that aren't worth seeing, restaurants, hostels, transportation, tours, etc.).

Thanks!
Lauren

You've pretty much listed all there is to do. Maybe also include a trip to the Yunga which is semi rainforest. Mostly base yourself in Salta and take a day trip with any one of a number of tour agencies. There are well over a hundred and competition is strong so the prices are reasonable. Maybe overnight in Cafayate and Tilcara. I would also include a few hours in Villazon on Bolivia's Border.

I would say NW Argentina is probably the most interesting and varied for scenery, geology and wildlife in Argentina and the Andean culture is pretty strong there too. You will take lots of pictures and the weather now is great.

In Salta itself there are plenty of decent reasonably priced restaurants round the square that cater for everyone not just tourists. Got to the Museum in the main plaza and see the mumified children if you don't find it morally objectionable. The plaza is great for people watching. Everyone meets there. Go up the hill on the teleferico then walk down. If you fancy a night night out go to Balcarce street which has many bars and a few restaurants with folk dancing shows (touristy).

Hostels in Salta? There are a few decent hostels. A safe bet is Las Rejas (more like a basic but clean safe and reasonably priced hotel) which is just 2 blocks from the main plaza. Tilcara is a bit of a hippy hangout so be careful which hostel you choose unless you want to sleep in a dorm with lots of clique-y stoners. Beyond Tilcara hostels in the quebrada are few and far between (or they were 2 -3 years ago). There are a couple good hostels in Cafayate cant remember the names. Trip advisor them. Hope that helps

Back