NYC to Buenos Aires - question on cost of living

I 100% wouldn't give up a job that pays five times as much, come here for a holiday instead!

This is definitely real. It's a little crazy, but after all money does not buy happiness.

As for rent, I'm only looking for a decent 1 bedroom in a nice neighborhood and with some basic appliances, dish washer, laundry, etc. I don't need a two bedroom and I don't need to live in the height of luxury, just not a dump. 1500 dollars a month sounds crazy as I was planning on paying more in the range of 500-800 dollars.

I will try to bring most electronics (TV, computer, etc.) and kitchen equipment (pots, pans) with me - hopefully the company will pay relocation costs.

Hey zmr,

I made the same move from NYC in January. The bottom line is that the cost of living for basics (rent, bills, cell phone) is about half as cheap, while the cost of manufactured consumer goods seems double to me than the US, mostly because of tariffs. Groceries and restaurants fluctuate by item, with steak and wine still being relatively affordable.

But here's the catch, even if we don't realize it, many of us are living the highlife here, as in living in the best neighborhoods, eating out frequently and taking taxis. And that's the trade, although it doesn't feel cheap to expats anymore with the inflation. Standard American consumption habits, especially for a NYer, are for the well-off only here.

So you'll live fine on your salary, but it probably won't feel any different than your purchasing power in NY to you, all things considered. That's been my experience.

Philsword said:
Sorry but this doesn't sound real. Who in their right mind would take a 80% pay cut from their current employer to take a foreign assignment, in my experience this isn't how the world works.

Lots of people actually. People want to travel, want a change, want to gain int'l experience, etc. Or there are those that leave a well-paying job for a job that pays less with another company on the theory that there are lots of other benefits including quality of life.

As for the OP, 10K is a very good local salary, esp at your age. If you're not looking for a luxury lifestyle, if you have a guarantia and can rent inexpensively and you get a decent but not top apt and if you get a local credit card and pay off that expensive furniture you'll be buying in quotas, you'll have a fine quality of life. Not running around throwing money in the air by any means, but you'll be doing okay. Even better if your BF is living with you and you have someone to share grocery costs, expensas, utilities, etc....

ETA - if your 10K salary is en bruto, your net income will be 8300 pesos a month.

Things to also consider: Will your company provide you health insurance? Will you need a car (hopefully not)? Will you use your savings to pay for flights (one flight is about a month's worth of salary)?

Philsword said:
Sorry but this doesn't sound real. Who in their right mind would take a 80% pay cut from their current employer to take a foreign assignment, in my experience this isn't how the world works.
I agree. An 80% pay cut is absurd. Five times 10,000 pesos/mo is equivalent to about US$ 12,500/mo or $150,000 annual salary. There is no comparison to the life style that you can now afford in NYC to what a salary of 10,000 pesos will allow you in BA. And unless the agreement for salary increases of which you speak is structured to truly match local inflation (not the official government figures) what is now an 80% cut will soon grow into a much greater decrease as inflation outpaces your salary increases. Consider the following.

At present the cost of living Buenos Aires is substantially more than 1/5 the cost of living in NYC. Aside from public transportation, real estate rentals may be the best value in BA compared to NYC, but no way are rents 1/5 of similar NYC housing. Not since the 2001/2002 debacle have prices been so skewed. I'd estimate good apts now rent for about 1/2 of what similar digs in NY would cost, but to decently furnish an apartment will be as or more costly in BA than it would be in NY. "Electrodomesticos" especially are much more expensive in BA than NYC. For example, flat screen TVs in BA cost about twice what they do in NYC. Ditto computers, hair dryers, toasters, microwaves, etc. On the other hand, your maid will be a bargain at $4/hour should you opt for one.

Dining out is cheaper in BA, but as the current rate of inflation and spiralling prices continue your peso denominated salary will soon limit your choices. Forget about "event' dining even now. Eventually you'll be limited to your favorite neighborhood places on occasion. After a year or two, you will be regularly cooking at home and ordering deliveries from local take out establishments.

Public transportation (subways, buses) in BA is about the only item of expense that now costs on the order of 20% of what it does in NYC. Cabs are somewhat cheaper than what they cost in NYC, but cab fares are one of several items that increase rapidly. Unless your salary grows proportionately with cab fare increases (and that is highly unlikely unless you are a union member and/or reach an atypical agreement with your employer) you will soon find that your 10,000 peso salary will not allow you to comfortably hail cabs everytime you need to get from the Recoleta to Palermo.

Forget about buying clothes in BA. Clothes are considerably more expensive in BA than NYC so if you do relocate, stock up on underwear, socks, shirts, etc. since you'll have to pay considerably more for these items in BA.

Unless you build in a regular and frequent salary increase to match the 25-30% inflation that BA has been experiencing the last few years you will not be living comfortably compared to your current 6 figure salary in NYC.

zmr said:
This is definitely real. It's a little crazy, but after all money does not buy happiness.

As for rent, I'm only looking for a decent 1 bedroom in a nice neighborhood and with some basic appliances, dish washer, laundry, etc. I don't need a two bedroom and I don't need to live in the height of luxury, just not a dump. 1500 dollars a month sounds crazy as I was planning on paying more in the range of 500-800 dollars.

I will try to bring most electronics (TV, computer, etc.) and kitchen equipment (pots, pans) with me - hopefully the company will pay relocation costs.

I think you'll be fine. But you certainly won't be able to live the same kind of lifestyle that you were used to in the states.
I think the 1500 dollars per month you were quoted is for a furnished tourist rental. I think you'll be able to find a 1-bedroom apartment in a decent area for around 2,000 pesos (+ building expenses), maybe more if you want something a bit nicer. The cost of consumer products (furniture, electronics, clothes, books, etc) is much higher here than abroad so your spending power on "stuff" will be dramatically reduced. Groceries cost as much as they do in the US/UK here (and the quality/variety isn't as good) but eating out is slightly cheaper. for 10,000 you'll live a decent, middle-class lifestyle but it will not be the equivalent of your life in NY.

She's right, money doesn't buy happiness. The people who say not to give up the higher salary are right too; it's all in the eye of the beholder.

For what it's worth, I would take the leap. Your boyfriend is there, you love BA, and you will be with the same company that is currently paying you the higher salary. And you are in your 20's.

Have some fun. Get some international experience. I've lived there before and will live there again (sooner or later).

Before I read the last two responses, I thought," she's going to give up a well paying job in N.Y. to move to BA???" I can't imagine. Were you here for a job interview? Have you met your boss and co workers in person? Your only concern seems to be about MONEY. What if you're not happy with the new job? Will you have a contract? Can you take a leave of absence from your N.Y. job? If for some reason you leave the BA job....then what? Fairway, Zabars, Trader Joe, Bloomingdales, Soho and on and on. I, born and raised in N.Y., was there a few weeks ago. It's always so sad to leave.

Yes, I have had an interview and have met my boss and coworkers in person. I'm actually going back to BA next month to tour the firm again and meet with more people before making a final decision.

In response to salgueiro, I do think rent is about 1/5 of what it would be in New York. For example, I'm currently paying $US 2,500 in rent, which is about 5 times what I would want to pay in Bs As.

Also, the company has told me that my salary would double in 2-3 years, not including increases to account for inflation, so I think it is only about making it through the short term. Nevertheless, it's a big decision. I don't need to be throwing money in the air, I just want to maintain a similar quality of life that I have now, in which I am not swimming in extra money but I also don't really worry about it.

If all doesn't work out, I hope to be able to return to NY and find another job paying at least as much as I make now - I'm a lawyer so the market is pretty standard for what law firms will pay here. I guess the biggest concern in that regard is where the economy is heading in the next few years and how many jobs there will be for lawyers, but that's something probably best addressed on a different site altogether.

Apts here are tiny. For $US 500 a month in a decent area you will get 40 m2 max. How big is your current apt?

Back