NYC to Buenos Aires - question on cost of living

OK here goes another question, and I may start a new thread about this - could I be making more than 10,000 pesos if I start looking for in-house positions at international companies, or is 10,000 about as good as it gets for someone my level (i.e. 4-5 years experience as a lawyer). For example, citygirl, (and also no need for you to answer publicly) do you make more than 10,000/month working for your company? If so, then maybe I need to pass on this job and keep looking... However, I did get several offers from a number of law firms and this has been the best one so far by several thousand pesos.

Seems like a really good offer and living in Argentina always gives you the option on jumping on offers that might present them(read better paid job) after 6 months or a year

Is it take-home pay or gross?

Also I should mention that the fact that there are other economies that are strong that I could be working in is kind of a non-issue. I used to live in Switzerland and could probably have an amazing job there in a minute if I really wanted to, but I don't want to go back there for several reasons, chiefly because it's incredibly boring and not where I want to live out my youth. I like Buenos Aires (and New York) because they are vibrant, populated, energetic cities with lots to do. This is why I also won't consider moving to another city in the US - it's New York or out of the country.

fred mertz said:
Before I read the last two responses, I thought," she's going to give up a well paying job in N.Y. to move to BA???" I can't imagine. Were you here for a job interview? Have you met your boss and co workers in person? Your only concern seems to be about MONEY. What if you're not happy with the new job? Will you have a contract? Can you take a leave of absence from your N.Y. job? If for some reason you leave the BA job....then what? Fairway, Zabars, Trader Joe, Bloomingdales, Soho and on and on. I, born and raised in N.Y., was there a few weeks ago. It's always so sad to leave.

Exactly, the whole thread just doesn't pass the sniff test, it's either somebody having fun or not so hot marketing. No company I have ever heard off would transfer somebody overseas B.A. or otherwise and expect the employee to take an 80% pay cut and plus you are moving to somewhere the inflation is 25% which means the peso will be shortly worth a whole lot less in time with many expecting a big devaluation after the election. Anybody that would give up a well paying job to enter this scenario would have to be certifiable. I think this thread is a complete phoney.

What in the world would I be marketing? I haven't so much as mentioned a brand or company name in this thread.

Also, I did not say that I was being transferred. I wish! I want to move to Bs As so I did my research, got interviews, flew down to meet with various firms, and got a few job offers. The best one, and the one I'm currently considering, is for 10,000 pesos a month. What about this doesn't pass the sniff test? Whether or not I'm certifiable for considering it is a different issue altogether...

Bullshit, I have known many people who gave up a good paying job in a major city, especially in London or NY coming to BA without a job and less savings then she has.

Getting a 10k job here is not impossible for someone with the right skillset and education.

You can easily combine those 2.

Come on, people. I 100% believe that she is legit. We just exchanged a few messages -- "sniff test" passed.

texxaslonghorn said:
Come on, people. I 100% believe that she is legit. We just exchanged a few messages -- "sniff test" passed.

I guess the standard for proof is pretty low in Texas.

I have met plenty of people, mostly between 25 and 35 who have given up there high paying job in a major city, mostly in London, New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco who have come to BA for a 'sabatical'. That is really not uncommon.

Getting a 10k job in BA is also not unlikely for someone for someone with the right skillset and education.

Combine the 2 and throw in a BF and for me it would be a no brainer to move, the worst that can happen is that you need to go back after 6 months and lost some of the 40.000 usd

Barney said:
1500 dollar a month should get you a really nice furnished appartment, with a garantia about 1000 dollar.
With garantia and local apartment prices, try 1500-2000 pesos for a good one bedroom (around $400-500).

Back