NYer in BA

Mgriffiths123

Registered
Hi everyone,
I arrived in BA last Friday and have already fallen in love with the city. My boyfriend got transferred down here for work and I decided to join him. We are living in Palermo. I am very outgoing and enjoy meeting new people. I love to cook, I enjoy wine and coffee and would love to meet up to chat if anyone is interested.

I am looking for either a small Spanish class or a private tutor. I have intermediate level skills, but would like to improve them. Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
Moira

My suggestions for improving your Spanish would be as follows:

1. Get a daily newspaper in Spanish and read it, this will build your vocabulary.
2. Speak Spanish in the home, easy to say, hard to do.
3. Avoid English speaking people for a while. Total immersion quickest way to learn more of a language. If you hang around English speakers all the time you Spanish probably won't get better.

You can try a tutor but using the language on a daily basis is the quickest way of getting proficiency. Good Luck

hey! welcome, im not a professional tutor but im from ba,im a native speaker, so maybe i can help, i live 3 blocks away from the obelisco.

Hi, Moira. For private lessons, I highly recommend my tutor Gabriela: www.gabrielaferrante.com. She has a decade of experience teaching all levels, and will have you speaking and comprehending in no time. If you prefer small group classes, I can recommend OneonOne: http://www.oneononeargentina.com.ar/. Teachers there have autonomy over lesson plans, so quality of instruction and attention to student needs are higher than in many corporate 'institutes.' And if you want some additional conversation practice, you can look for an intercambio partner on Craigslist (30 minutes of Spanish conversation in exchange for 30 minutes of English.) Good luck!

Hello, I´m a Spanish tutor, Lic. en Letras (UBA) 20 years ago. I work with special exercises, to fix the structures, and conversation to get fluency. At your place, with material included. My email is [email protected]

Mgriffiths123 said:
Hi everyone,
I arrived in BA last Friday and have already fallen in love with the city. My boyfriend got transferred down here for work and I decided to join him. We are living in Palermo. I am very outgoing and enjoy meeting new people. I love to cook, I enjoy wine and coffee and would love to meet up to chat if anyone is interested.

I am looking for either a small Spanish class or a private tutor. I have intermediate level skills, but would like to improve them. Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
Moira

I've really enjoyed my classes at a small Spanish school in Recoleta (http://www.vosbuenosaires.com They have small classes, very friendly teachers, and tons of opportunities to practice your Spanish (in class and during free activities). I'd shop around, but if you want small classes where speaking English is actually frowned upon, I would suggest this one. :)

Hey! I would suggest you go out there and make FRIENDS! :) I've been here for a little bit over a year and I've never taken a single spanish class :) I'm fluent in portuguese, so it's obviously a little bit easier for me to learn, but still both languages are extremely different and at the beginning I was completely lost out of my mind and couldn't understand a single word (and I mean it!). It took me almost 5 months to start being able to communicate a bit... I was living in a student residence and there were tons of students from all over South America... that helped me big time 'cause I always had people to talk to and they would try to understand me :)

Wish you the best of luck
xx

Bienvenido!

There is a 8 person spanish class starting THIS TUESDAY!

110 dollars per month, 2 classes per week, tuesday and wednesday, 3 hours per class, duration is 4 months. PM if you are interested in this further.

Saludos!

Welcome to Buenos Aires. I am from the US and have opened a new Spanish Language school called "Bueno, Dale" with my Argentine partner, Sandra Gonet. We are located in Soho near Plaza Armenia and we offer both group and private lessons. Sandra has over 26 years of experience teaching Spanish for all levels including DELE. Contact us for details, www.buenodale.com.

Hi, Moira. Welcome!
If you have a good/strong foundation in Spanish, even with your intermediate level, an "intercambio" (as it was suggested) might be enough. If you need to tune your ear to the new accent, I'd recommend that you watch an Argentine TV channel online so you can replay the parts of the program you don't understand as many times as needed. You have many options there depending on your interests. Also, I would recommend that you sign up for a class that has nothing to do with language instruction, but with your own interests (art, dance, cooking, etc, etc, etc). When you're emotionally connected to the subject matter, you'll notice that your Spanish will flow more naturally. Plus, you'll be among native speakers, learning from them and through them.
I hope this helps!
Good luck!

Back