Nyt On High Cost Of Living In Brazil

amsam

Registered
Interesting piece in the Times about Brazil's high prices, seeing as we just had that thread on the high cost of living here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/world/americas/prices-fuel-outrage-in-brazil-home-of-the-30-cheese-pizza.html

I wonder if there are any factors in common?

Actually, compared to prices in Brazil, Paraguay (!) and Uruguay Argentina is much cheaper, in hard currency. I know that people are smuggling goods from Argentina into Paraguay because the prices are lower, same with Uruguay.

Anecdotally my colleagues in Sao Paulo by electronics in the US and sell them to friends Brazil.

Another country were an army of lawyers and accountants live off the madness of state bureaucracy.

Actually, compared to prices in Brazil, Paraguay (!) and Uruguay Argentina is much cheaper, in hard currency. I know that people are smuggling goods from Argentina into Paraguay because the prices are lower, same with Uruguay.

Smuggling is a way of life in Paraguay. Some years ago, when a Wall Street Journal reporter questioned a Ciudad del Este "businessman" about the significance of Mercosur on Paraguay, the response was "We may have to stop smuggling things, and start producing things." He appears to have been mistaken.

Back