Obama as the savior

McCain seems to follow the same sort of foreign policy as the neocons, and has surrounded him by such people. He wants to kick Russia out of the G8, doesn't want to talk to representatives of the "the axis of evil", and seems to propose a unilateral foreign policy.... The again, I have to admit he has some sensible ideas as well, such as closing down guantánamo bay.
The world doesn't need another neocon hardliner in the White House.

"ReemsterCARP" said:
For the sake of the rest of the world i hope Obama gets elected president.
Bush has done so much damage to the image of the US in Europe. From being the saviours of WW2 who freed us from the Nazis... to the warmongering Bush administration....
Then again, we only focus on us foreign policy
The warmongering Bush administration?....Did you miss this?http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/01/AR2007080101233.html
"Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama
issued a pointed warning yesterday to Pakistani President Pervez
Musharraf, saying that as president he would be prepared to order U.S.
troops into that country unilaterally if it failed to act on its own
against Islamic extremists......"When I am president, we will wage the war that has to be won," he told an audience at the Woodrow Wilson Center
in the District. He added, "The first step must be to get off the wrong
battlefield in Iraq and take the fight to the terrorists in Afghanistan
and Pakistan." That was last year. Here's what Obama said last week in Berlin:http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,568527,00.html

"This is the moment when we must renew our resolve … in Afghanistan. ….
America cannot do this alone. The Afghan people need our troops and
your troops; our support and your support to defeat the Taliban and al
Qaeda…."Is this what the Europeans are looking forward to from an Obama administration?

Obama has a great image in the US and abroad, but with this philosophy, how will he improve the image of the US in Europe? Most Americans don't care at all what the Europeans think and won't consider it for a nanosecond when casting their ballots in November. I seriously doubt that many of them will vote for Obama because they think he will get more Europeans to fight in Afghanistan, though that's clearly what he wants. Obama promises "change we can believe in," but those in Europe who "hope" Obama wins may not see the kind of "change" they are hoping for if he wins the election. By November, there may be enough non-believers in the US to prevent that from happening. PS: Bush will not be on the ballot, even though Obama is trying to create that image, too.

"steveinbsas" said:
Obama promises "change we can believe in," but those in Europe who "hope" Obama wins may not see the kind of "change" they are hoping for if he wins the election.
The Europeans aren't particularly enchanted with him. People have seen the images on 200,000 Berliners turning out to hear him speak but what hasn't been advertised (because of media bias) is that they really turned up for a free concert and free beer. It's only Americans who fall for the same hoax of bright smiles and elevated rhetoric each time. There's no ideological divide between McCain and Obama (When was the last presidential election where there was one?). The election is being fought on "personality" and "charisma," with real issues deftly brushed under the carpet (as usual). Obama is using the tried-and-tested Democratic strategem of vague and woolly talk, of half-promises and general reassurances, while he's already cut deals with the moneymen, the military complex, and everyone else who really matters. He's a mocha version of Bill Clinton.

Quoting bigbadwolf:
"The Europeans aren't particularly enchanted with him."

Lo, it appears that at least one true believer in Holland hath seen the light of Obama as the savior, nonetheless, and hath borne witness to that revelation here. Hoping for Obama's election for the "sake of the rest of the world" sounds like acceptance of Him as the Messiah , doth it not?Verily, I say unto thee, oh grand and malicious canine, thou must embrace the savior before it is too late (November 5th) or thou shalt surely perish in the fires fueled by thine own cynicism and sardonic wit.

See you in....

who are 'the europeans'? - d'you think people in Romania and Hungary give a sh1t who obama is or any of the other candidates? - maybe a handful of people in the UK and Germany, even then they know nothing is going to change.
and that article in the Times - the jesus/bible thingy is really tacky - probably entertains people that think Benny Hill is funny - I thought it was cheap journalism.

"Fishface" said:
and that article in the Times - the jesus/bible thingy is really tacky - probably entertains people that think Benny Hill is funny - I thought it was cheap journalism.
What's "tacky" about the Times article? It's satire, and far from the slapstick and sexual innuendo of Benny Hill. I'm curious. Did it offend your religious sensibilities? I haven't heard an outcry from religious circles, though I have been expecting one.
It looks like the Germans have a similar perception of the anointed one:http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/inhalt/0,1518,ausg-4259,00.html
Humor works best when it is based on truth."Obama: For Now, Perspiration Over Inspiration", by Andrew Romano Newsweek January 31, 2008:
Reading
the recent flurry of stories about Barack Obama--the Clinton-slayer!
the youth candidate! the next Kennedy!--it'd be easy to imagine that
his campaign is all inspiration and little perspiration at this point,
with rainbows and starshine bursting from the tailpipe of his tour bus.
Obama both lampoons and slyly encourages the perception. In New
Hampshire and South Carolina, for example, the
senator was fond of telling audiences that "at some point in the
evening, a light is going to shine down and you will have an epiphany
and you’ll say, ‘I have to vote for Barack.’
"Is Obama's Constitution Strong Enough?", by Nat Hentoff Village Voice:
Once
in a while, Obama makes a passing reference to our diminishing
individual liberties, but hardly ever in his stump speeches. At an
early-morning rally the day of the New Hampshire vote, he told some 300
students at the Dartmouth College gym: "My
job this morning is to be so persuasive . . . that a light will shine
through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will
experience an epiphany, and you will suddenly realize that you must go
to the polls and vote for Barack."
CNN CNN Newsroom. Aired January 7, 2008 - 11:00 EST. Transcript (of video of Obama himself?):
That's his job, get you to the polls, vote for Obama. My job is to help him do his job. So
I am going to try to be so persuasive in the 20 minutes or so that I
speak that by the time this is over, a light will shine down from
somewhere.
It
will light upon you. You will experience an epiphany. And you will say
to yourself, I have to vote for Barack. I have to do it.

"ReemsterCARP" said:
McCain seems to follow the same sort of foreign policy as the neocons, and has surrounded him by such people. He wants to kick Russia out of the G8, doesn't want to talk to representatives of the "the axis of evil", and seems to propose a unilateral foreign policy.... The again, I have to admit he has some sensible ideas as well, such as closing down guantánamo bay.
The world doesn't need another neocon hardliner in the White House.
I am sure you can give me some examples for all this points with examples when he voted for laws during his milion years in office?

"steveinbsas" said:
It looks like the Germans have a similar perception of the anointed one:
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/inhalt/0,1518,ausg-4259,00.html
This is an English version of a Der Spiegel article on the anointed one:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,568551,00.html
Obama is all sound and fury, and no substance. Here are some excerpts:
On the one hand, there were the American media pros working for the US presidential candidate, constantly searching for the best shots to use back home. They left nothing to chance, right down to the tiniest carefully choreographed details. "Message control" was the buzzword as they implemented "the plan" -- Barack Obama for president. John, does camera three have the Brandenburg Gate with him in the foreground? Jack, how can we best get the crowd into the picture with him, should he wave to the left or to the right? Linda, why do so few people in the front rows have Obama balloons?
He gave an almost poetic speech, a tour de force through global politics, but without many specifics ...
Obama is a man who occasionally allows a brilliant phrase to overshadow the message itself and -- no stranger to vanity -- sometimes allows himself to get carried away by the engaging power of language.
For serious analysis of Obama and what he'll be like, I heartily recommend:
www.dissidentvoice.org.
Here are some recent articles:
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/07/media-marginalization-of-third-parties/
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/07/reality-check-the-democrats-are-the-real-problem/
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/07/the-real-power-behind-the-throne-to-be/
http://www.dissidentvoice.org/2008/07/you-can%e2%80%99t-tell-a-magazine-by-its-cover/
As one of the pieces makes clear, Obama avoids specific policy commitments; when cornered, he invariably tacks to the right ("moving towards the centre").
Anyone who votes for him is being guided by the "principle of the ever-so-slightly lesser evil." Which is fine by me. As Ken Livingstone once said, if voting could change anything, they'd have abolished the ballot boxes a long time ago. As if the check marks of little old ladies are going to decide whether a carrier task force gets sent to the Persian Gulf.

Very good, the blow that there candidate is defeated by a GOP candidate who could be Obama´s grandfather will be that much bigger

Just wondering if any of you posting on this thread are US citizens that will be voting in the election?

Back