OBAMA Speech in Cairo was a 10+ AMAZING !!!

So Big Bad Wolf - were you expecting Obama to fix a problem in his first 6 months that has been brewing for oh... 70 years?

Did you read my comments - acknowledging Palestine, instead of the "future state of Palestine" is a HUGE change in US policy. And there is a reason it was well-received by the Middle East. It's the first time we've used this language. Yes, there needs to be concrete action to follow but everything starts from here.

Oh & those wall street scoundrels that underwrote his campaign - do tell who exactly they are? B/C I would bet that most of his top donors were not CEOs of the banks and automotive companies ;) And really - 10% on food stamps and 20% unemployment? Do cite some figures for that as well - I would be quite interested in that.

Good God, what has happened to normal, civil political discourse? I don't think Obama is the savior, I am not a single-party voter and I enjoy discussing ideas and theories. Yet it seems it so many ways, that isn't possible anymore. There are those that froth that "Obama is a Muslin (sic), wasn't born in the US, is the anti-christ, etc. And then those who scream he is betraying his party by not pulling troops out today, spending money on defense, etc. Where are the real discussions?

Reactions: HDM
citygirl said:
Oh & those wall street scoundrels that underwrote his campaign - do tell who exactly they are? B/C I would bet that most of his top donors were not CEOs of the banks and automotive companies ;) And really - 10% on food stamps and 20% unemployment? Do cite some figures for that as well - I would be quite interested in that.

For food stamps, here is a Reuters article. For Ohio, I believe the figure is 25% but I'd have to dig a bit before I can find the source.

For unemployment try this piece in Monthly Review for starters. You can also find a piece here by Paul Craig Roberts indicating a comparable figure.

With regard to campaign contributions, Obama raised almost $750m -- more than double what McCain raised; more here. It's difficult to know exactly where the money came from since as far as I know the Obama team has been coy (more here). With regard to what we do know about his top contributors, Wall Street figured prominently; more here. US "democracy" is a pay-to-play system, unfortunately.

With regard to change -- *shrug* -- Americans liberals cannot seemingly understand that placing a cross by a candidate's name is not going to change a system with an entrenched oligarchy and military involvement all over the globe. If voting could change anything they'd have abolished the ballot box a long time ago (Ken Livingstone). But liberals prefer to live in a haze of wishful thinking where somehow good intentions always turn into brutal actions.

People have to stop looking at nuances. Leave that to a bought punditocracy. They can explore the semantic differences between "Palestine" and the "future State of Palestine" and the earth-shattering significance it has. For decades nothing has happened because the US has had a vested interest in having Israel as a client state. That interest has not ceased. Might makes right; not soft, nuanced words.

Postscript: It seems I am wrong about the figures for Ohio.

davejohnson333 said:
P.S. It is awful fishy that one of the only people who could have testified that Obama was not born in the U.S. and thus was not legally qualified to be president, died during Obama's campaign when a demand was made for a certified copy of his birth certificate. I am talking about the strange timing of the death of Obama's grandmother.
Brilliant! He killed his own grandmother!! This gets better and better!

Of course none of this criticism is related to the fact that his skin is just the teeniest bit darker than yours or mine. Of course not! Don't suppose you even noticed; it's just that there's something about him that's just somehow, you know, a bit... not quite right.

To all those US liberals out there whose heads are still in a tizzy over the eloquence of the messiah, here is some trenchant analysis:

It is to be feared that Obama's "dramatic" speech to the Islamic and Arab worlds has more to do with cosmetics than with politics. Obama is certainly right about the need to improve the image of the United States but, alas, this is not a matter of rhetoric.

The Washington DC, Riyadh, Cairo triangle is one of those decaying power alliances that hold the fort for the United States. Obama's Middle East partners are not squeamish about torture and jail for their opponents who dare to act up. Mubarak and the Saudi king, Abdullah, are the heads of reactionary, brutal regimes. Of course, they are bastards but they are Obama's bastards -- so what else is new? Even speechwise, there was very little of new substance in the Cairo spiel. Especially, if you were at Annapolis.

Once again, we are struck with the gap between words and action. Obama's propaganda team is working overtime to present the current problems in a limited and almost meaningless framework.

Where are the real discussions?”
If it is so clear that His DemoGracy is so clear, why not post something people will SIMPLY verify or compare, not “his” Photoshop artistry?
What another discussion u’ve mentioned?
Long “diplomatic” feeding Israel with billions of US taxpayers money for constantly ignoring UN resolution?
O-oh, I got it. He wants now to catch these Taliban guys, who was implemented by CIA when Shah Masud start grow his popularity after Soviets? And when Bush declined to start reducing opium production and continued protect colossal revenue from opium and heroin trade, what has Ur Magic One said? Does ANYONE in his cabinet decided simply leave that poor country alone as it was happen only ONES back in 1978 with N.M Taraki and Afghans had first potential to became something good and solid in SO MANY YEARS?
Does he?
O-oh ur fuzzyfied ears wants to hear more glorious stories about “winning” military campaigns? There another country to start punishment within: Pakistan (which btw historically part of India). Does he ever clearly state that US is the ONE who were seeding conflicts CONSTANTLY in that region since Britts were left?
Do u have any clue about HOW MUCH money we all, citizens of the US, would be forced to have to pay for his “new way of thinking”? Does he even pronounced word “stop” wasteful “investment” of OUR money in that never-ending disaster? Did you hear him saying ANYWHERE about pulling public funds from such “development”? If major world news providers ALREADY report huge losses due to total corruption in the “modern” Afghan Government HOW FREAKING LONG it needs to make Him a decision? Another 2-4 years?
What else would u like to have a discussion here?

“… intelligent, well-spoken, and powerful Liberal …”

Well-spoken about “new way of thinking”? In regards of 146 000 troops in Iraq and 53 000 in Afghan? O-oh… I see. These folks in Iraq will not come together easy, huh? Is it surprises ur “intelligent one”? Protecting Ramallah oil field in Iraq and opium-heroin production in Afghanistan with our money? So “The Legend” of “terrorists attack” has to go on, right?
And he is a Liberal? How Liberal? Up to the point to hear “Petition to Redress”?
To join Tax Protest tea parties? To reinstate Congress in power of money emission and control, perhaps?
How about highjacking the whole country with his racketeering support of such great financial “Of All Time Favorite Plan” to bailout those WS crooks and thieves via public money?
Jobless index moving down and all of a sudden crude oil started to grow freaking up (!!!)
He talks about recession and crude oil “market makers” just about to get on rally again!!!
600000 “stimulus” jobs in summer? Did he receive Harry Potter’s Magic Wand already from anonymous supporter from Hogwarts?

In order to create "stimulus" jobs someone needs to have industrial brake-trough. And what do we see? O-oh.. Drill more domestically, plant more stupid corn? Scientists already reinvestigated (NPR reported for example) that growing, harvesting and burning these "ethanol" crops at electric power plants would be much more efficient then grow, harvest, refine alcohol, mix it with gasoline and burn it in engines. So WHERE IS THE SMARTY now??? Do u really want me to tell u how much solar units costs and how much of them The Government willing to rebate?
Did u hear Him saying ANYTHING about new plants for electric car manufacturing?
How about cargo ships?
Does he ever speak about nuclear power plants, federally funded, instead of federal bailouts of those sons of a bitches who skinning the whole country alive right at this moment? O-oh, you're do not see it yet?
Do u really think that when Obama speaks local businesses are just started popping up like miracle?O-oh... yes, I hear u saying something about lowering interest rates for creditors? So locals would just slam through their corresponding banks doors to stick they proud heads into some deeper crappy scheme?
Is that how His Magicalisity will open new jobs?
Open more banks and credit unions? Here is my 5 cents: lets stop borrowng money from our banks! Lets do something real, to be proud about! Lets legislate single family-use dollar printing machines!! Everyone will survive! Imagine how drastically everyone will prosper? BestBuy, Costco and RadioShack shelves will be scratched down to bare metal! Isn't it not the brightest future? It will certainly boos production on every level, huh? Stupid, huh? Really?
Thats what our Government was doing since 1970 by "Federal Reserve, LLC"

TomAtAlki said:
And BBW how you must miss the great Bush!
Nancy

I loathe Bush. I bitterly resent the argument that anything in the place of a great evil is a great improvement. Another puerile folly of American liberals. No wonder nothing ever changes in the US of A. Worthless Republicans and worthless Democrats (who merely sound as if they're a minute improvement on the Republicans). Hope and change -- what a load of hogwash.

pikto99 said:
“… intelligent, well-spoken, and powerful Liberal …”

Well-spoken about “new way of thinking”? In regards of 146 000 troops in Iraq and 53 000 in Afghan? O-oh… I see. These folks in Iraq will not come together easy, huh? Is it surprises ur “intelligent one”? Protecting Ramallah oil field in Iraq and opium-heroin production in Afghanistan with our money? So “The Legend” of “terrorists attack” has to go on, right?
And he is a Liberal? How Liberal? Up to the point to hear “Petition to Redress”?

You're wasting your breath. American political discussion is so bankrupt on both sides of the fake divide between Republican and Democrat, people won't even understand you, so systematic and through-going has been the indoctrination. On one side, Rush Limbaugh appears to be becoming the de facto voice of the Republicans; on the other, the "liberals" who swoon with every utterance of the magic one. Some democracy. The missiles, the drones, and the troops remain constant.

Back