Obama's Choice For Arg Ambassador.....$ Buys The Post?

You're 100% right in practise, and on this point it's enlightening to read the comments of the Chief Justice at the trials, Robert Jackson, who forewarned precisely about this problem. His words were quickly ignored by US planners who proceeded to bomb civilian targets in Korea, destroying dams and agriculture. Likewise the French in Vietnam, the British in Kenya...

That said, the fact that the governing elite chooses to ignore these principles does not mean that any of us need to, nor does it make them somehow right when they do so.

I was mistaken. Normally those who rattle on to me about Bush the war criminal usually follow up with something about Chavez the hero. I had you pegged incorrectly. However you seriously weaken your argument comparing Bush to Tojo and Milosevic. I have been to both Baghdad and Srebrenica and there is quite a difference between an ill-advised invasion based on a poorly-conceived neocon philosophy of democracy via the M16, and attempted genocide (twice). Besides, the US does not control the international institutions that hand down war crimes charges; in fact that are often at odds with one another and sometimes they don't even participate at all. Of course there are plenty of reasons why they might not want to go after D Cheney or Kissinger but the record shows that they have not done so therefore they are war criminals in theory only. The courts exist for a reason. Many of the same people who call Bush a war criminal also argue that Clinton is one as well for his "aggression" in Bosnia and Kosovo. So tiring.

I have been to both Baghdad and Srebrenica and there is quite a difference between an ill-advised invasion based on a poorly-conceived neocon philosophy of democracy via the M16, and attempted genocide (twice). Besides, the US does not control the international institutions that hand down war crimes charges; in fact that are often at odds with one another and sometimes they don't even participate at all.

Surely you jest -- or I hope you do.

Contrast with Argentina's ambassador, Cecilia Nahon, who while a Camporista, is well educated, and to all appearances can hold her own in a discussion of economics, worked in the private sector, and does not seem to be a 'pleb'. Contrasts as well to the ex flight attendant/union organiser that seems to delight in embarrassing Argentina in London.

Since diplomatic/political relations between Argentina and the US (not to mention between La Reina Abeja and Barry) have continued to deteriorate within the past several months, could not Noah Mamet's appointment be considered something of an intentional slight, as an indication that Obama and the US government want CFK and her cronies to know that Argentina is of such inconsequential importance as to warrant a certified diplomat who speaks Spanish? I like this loony theory.

Back